Construction material cost in Chile and what is available

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
Dosedmonkey

Re: Construction material cost in Chile and what is available

Postby Dosedmonkey » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:09 pm

admin wrote:Figure something like 10+ hours of labour at least, and several gallons of gas go in to each cubic meter of wood. All to produce more carbon contamination in cities that can not handle it, cutting down less carbon holding trees, to not really produce all that much energy, and burning the equivalent of a couple gallons of gas to get it. When it was all said, and done, the gas burned to retrieve the wood in the first place likely had more energy in it than the wood that was retrieved. Really amazing the price of wood is not higher.

You make a good point. It is expensive in the UK to have a log fire. I'm surprised its not here. Did you mention all the fuel used to move the lumber? A less you have a system of putting it down rivers in places like Canada, chances are it will be on the back of a truck.

Space Cat wrote:
admin wrote:I have several friends with various pellet systems. they work great when they work. Last year there was a sudden shortage of pellets all over the south. I have been hesitant to go with them, simply because the market in the south can be flaky. things come and go from the market for long periods. That said, the supply did increase after that as lots of little producers took up the slack. Still, I can just see after say a big earthquake or something, the pellets disappearing for weeks or months at a time.

What would be your ideal heating system here? The one that will be useful even after a big earthquake in the middle of an abnormally cold winter.

Electric heating, with a backup generator if cash is no problem, the generator would be useful for other things too. I guess a gas bottle supplied heater is the cheapest back up, you can use the same gas bottle for emergency cooking facilities. Hell you could use a cooker for a inefficient way to heat your house in an emergency too.

Warning, I have a...
Construction Question

So looked at some websites, how easy is it to estimate how many kilos of gravel/small stones I need to cover a small area of my garden. Is there a simple rough calculation anyone has?

jamie_m

Postby jamie_m » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:17 pm

calculate the cubic meterage needed then multiply that by the materials bulk density and you then have your wieght. if you work on about 1.4 as your bulk density you should be in the ball park.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:10 pm

This is my favorite online construction calculator site.
http://www.blocklayer.com/

They pretty much thought of everything, especially for framing. you can generate images with all the angled cuts layed out for you. I used it for my concrete calculations, and came up with about one cubic foot of extra concrete on my foundation when ordering the truck. Not sure they have a dedicate gravel one, but some of their other calculators will likely do gravel. Believe they have a free phone application too.

7 cubic meters, a full dump truck, of 1-2 inch washed river gravel, set me back about 150,000 pesos last time I ordered. I use it for everything. Drains, concrete, landscaping, so on. anything left over goes in the driveway. In rainy southern Chile, you never have too much drainage.

One of the best things I bought, was a construction calculator. It converts from feet inches to metric with the push of a button. Most everything in Chile construction wise is dimensioned for feet inches (plywood is still 8x4), but will often be sold in metric. I always love the buying a stud, is 2 inches by 4 inches by 3.2 meters long. Only in Chile do you switch to the metric system for the 3rd dimension. Who knows what they use to express time in the 4 dimension. so the calculator allows me to put in say two dimensions in feet or inches, fractions, decimals, and hit a button to continue the calculation in metric, and still get an answer that works in both.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Dosedmonkey

Postby Dosedmonkey » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:45 am

Yeah I think 3.2 meters long is like 10.5ft or something, I never figured out why 10.5ft is a standard length of planks.

Conversions apps are always useful, my car tyre pressures are in bar on the car, and the pumps are often PSI at the garages. And I never remember the PSI reading of the tyre pressures...

I learnt to drive in MPH, and remembering the KPH equivalents is always helpful too. It is odd comparing it to the UK, residential is typically 48kph (30mph) in UK, whilst 60kph here. Whilst in the countryside it is in the UK is 97kph (60 mph) whilst here often then not it is 60 KPH up to 80 some times kph. Although autopistas in UK are only 112 kph (70mph) limit by law, and here is 120 kph, in UK people drive up to 100mph due to the good quality and safety of UK autopistas, and lack of serious prosecution until over 100mph. But when you think 100 mph is 160KPH. I think I'd be mad to go over 130kph on any autopistas around here, haha. Although there was some nice straight open bits up near La Serena when I went, which in a descent car wouldn't be hard to do 160kph on.

Anyway, back to gravel. So yeah I guess i need the diameter of one stone, and then that will be my depth, and then just work out the volume using the depth of one stone and the area that I want to gravel... sounds odd but in theory if all the stones are about the same size it should work.

Space Cat

Postby Space Cat » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:44 pm

Dosedmonkey wrote:Electric heating, with a backup generator if cash is no problem, the generator would be useful for other things too. I guess a gas bottle supplied heater is the cheapest back up, you can use the same gas bottle for emergency cooking facilities. Hell you could use a cooker for a inefficient way to heat your house in an emergency too.

We just received an electricity bill from our landlords and it's CLP$175/kW in winter. So even 1kWh heater will consume CLP$4,200 in a day and CLP$126,000 in a month. But 1kWh is not enough for more than a couple of small rooms. So I guess it's up to CLP$300,000 a month for electricity-based heating of a medium sized house. That's quite a lot. :?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:35 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Dosedmonkey wrote:Electric heating, with a backup generator if cash is no problem, the generator would be useful for other things too. I guess a gas bottle supplied heater is the cheapest back up, you can use the same gas bottle for emergency cooking facilities. Hell you could use a cooker for a inefficient way to heat your house in an emergency too.

We just received an electricity bill from our landlords and it's CLP$175/kW in winter. So even 1kWh heater will consume CLP$4,200 in a day and CLP$126,000 in a month. But 1kWh is not enough for more than a couple of small rooms. So I guess it's up to CLP$300,000 a month for electricity-based heating of a medium sized house. That's quite a lot. :?

Thus, even highly inefficient solar in rainy southern chile starts sounding like a sweet deal.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Dosedmonkey

Postby Dosedmonkey » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:35 pm

Space Cat wrote:

I live in a place where if I use the heating, its for a hour or two maximum a day, AND I have lived places where gas has cost a fortune in Santiago. It is mad how different communa vary in services price so much in Santiago.

Space Cat

Postby Space Cat » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:17 pm

admin wrote:I have several friends with various pellet systems. they work great when they work. Last year there was a sudden shortage of pellets all over the south. I have been hesitant to go with them, simply because the market in the south can be flaky. things come and go from the market for long periods. That said, the supply did increase after that as lots of little producers took up the slack. Still, I can just see after say a big earthquake or something, the pellets disappearing for weeks or months at a time.

I asked our landlords and they said that the reason of shortage was the governmental program of supplying pellet stoves to government's buildings and in the same time one of the pellet factories burnt down.

Now it's much better because there's a mass migration to pellet heating and new factories are popping out.

Donnybrook

Postby Donnybrook » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:52 pm

one of the pellet factories burnt down.

:D

john

Postby john » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:37 am

Donnybrook wrote:
one of the pellet factories burnt down.

:D

A perfect example of palpable irony. :)
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Return to “Chile Real Estate, Property, and Construction”