Solar Photovoltaic Panels

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
fraggle092

Re: Solar Photovoltaic Panels

Postby fraggle092 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:19 pm

You just don't have a clue, do you? You dont even try.
The batteries you quote are way too small, and they are incompatible with normal charge controllers and inverters.
Après moi, le déluge

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:19 pm

fraggle092 wrote:You just don't have a clue, do you? You dont even try.
The batteries you quote are way too small, and they are incompatible with normal charge controllers and inverters.

Hah? If a single battery is small then rigged it to 4 batteries, Iam just saying that for the price of 1 Tesla battery, one can have 4 salvaged Prius battery. Have many friends up in the sierra that have mountain cabins in the middle of nowhere and they have rigged a bank of salvaged Prius Nimet batteries for their daily electricity needs. They have 3~4 photovoltaic panels on the roof and during day time they use electricity from those panels and at night from Prius re-formatted batteries.

I have another friend that found a wrecked Toyota Hybrid vehicle complete power train: Engine+Power split device, electronics+controllers, inverter, battery, etc. Even 2004 gen II Prius can generate up to 45kw/h of useful juice. You could supply enough power to assist whole residential block, don't you think so?

How about getting a salvaged mechanicals and import to Chile or anywhere then use the hybrid power train to produce juice?
I have found wrecked Priuses for around US$5500. So at night time, if the single NiMet home battery is not enough, then just start the Hybrid engine for heating/ventilation etc. You will have plenty of juice out the 45kw constant power. Oh the Prius electronics are very smart, the gas engine shuts and re-starts in seconds and if even running all day, it may consume a miser 1 gallon of fuel or less per day.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:25 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
HybridAmbassador" The Prius salvaged NiMet battery can yield as much as 1.7KW of useful juice obtained by the solar panels,

OK, I took a look at the Prius00 battery spec: 273.6 volts at 6.5 Ah for a total of 1.775 kWh.

Thats a pretty small battery for a solar installation. To put it into perspective, it would keep one 100W light bulb burning for 17 hours, and that's with a brand new battery, assuming 100% system conversion efficiency to keep the calculation simple.
And if it gets as deeply discharged as that, it will not last long. Limiting its discharge to 50% of capacity, which is what Toyota does, gives it an effective capacity of .85 kWh.

Also it outputs 273 volts! How do you interface that? Most PV systems run on 12, 24, or 48 volts.

Have seen many owners getting heavy duty cable connected to the Hybrid battery , then integrate the power swaine inverter. From that to any needed power source. See how: installing And Using a Power Inverter in a Prius.

https://axleaddict.com/cars/Installing- ... In-A-Prius.

If converting from Prius 273.6 volts, you will need a down voltage converter such as this following one.
http://alternativefuels.about.com/od/re ... erters.htm

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:48 pm

For superior power harnessing, perhaps better to have the Highlander SUV's 288 volt battery.

The battery pack of the second generation Toyota Prius consists of 28 Panasonic prismatic nickel metal hydride modules—each containing six 1.2 volt cells—connected in series to produce a nominal voltage of 201.6 volts. The total number of cells is 168, compared with 228 cells packaged in 38 modules in the first generation Prius. The pack is positioned behind the back seat.

The weight of the complete battery pack is 53.3 kg. The discharge power capability of the Prius pack is about 20 kW at 50 percent state-of-charge. The power capability increases with higher temperatures and decreases at lower temperatures. The Prius has a computer that’s solely dedicated to keeping the Prius battery at the optimum temperature and optimum charge level.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The nickel metal hydride battery used in Highlander Hybrid—and the Lexus RX 400h—is packaged in a newly developed metal battery casing. The 240 cells can deliver high voltage of 288 volts—but the motor-generators units can operate on variable voltage anywhere from 280 volts to 650 volts. The battery pack supplies 288 volts, but the boost converter, a part of the inverter above the transaxle, changes this to 500 volts. This battery pack provides 40 percent more power than the Prius battery, despite being 18 percent smaller.

Each of the modules has its own monitoring and cooling control system. The cooling performance reduces efficiency losses due to excessive heat, ensuring that the battery can supply required electric power to the motors at all times. The battery-monitoring unit manages discharge and recharging by the generator and motors to keep the charge level constant while the car is running.

http://www.hybridcars.com/hybrid-car-battery/

fraggle092

Postby fraggle092 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:14 pm

The use of a hybrid car to provide emergency power on a part-time basis is not the same as a permanent domestic solar installation, one that will work reliably over years. I cannot find one article where a vehicle is used to permanently power a house, which is what you seem to be hoping to do. For starters neither the motor nor the batteries are designed to work in this way, and the advice you enthusiastically and frequently post is pretty irrelevant to what can be done in this country.
Whatever, when you have actually built and run your concept for a year or so, please post the photos.
Après moi, le déluge

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:13 pm

fraggle092 wrote:The use of a hybrid car to provide emergency power on a part-time basis is not the same as a permanent domestic solar installation, one that will work reliably over years. I cannot find one article where a vehicle is used to permanently power a house, which is what you seem to be hoping to do. For starters neither the motor nor the batteries are designed to work in this way, and the advice you enthusiastically and frequently post is pretty irrelevant to what can be done in this country.
Whatever, when you have actually built and run your concept for a year or so, please post the photos.

You don't need the whole Hybrid vehicle in order to having 45kwh~65kwh of constant juice all day. Just the wrecked vehicle Hybrid system for when at night. Guess during day time, any photovoltaic solar panel will provide enough juice. As for deep cycling batteries: The lead-acid ones are absolute I reckon?
Nickel Metal or Lithium batteries that can retain enough juice in providing average daily consumption in latin America of guessing 7 Kwh for one day may suffice? If so, the junk yard salvaged 2004~2009 Prius NiMet batteries that can be purchased for arounds US$1200 rebuilt. Each battery provides 1.7 Kwh so if rigging 4 batteries for total juice of about 7 Kwh, then money expenditure of US$4800 will provide the necessary power for your home night time energy needs. I thought we started discussing stored energy produced for in Chile solar photovoltaic but what to do in the night when there is no source of juice?

For my part, trying right now to find the ways to export Japan-made modular house with built in solar photovoltaic paneled roof on them. When and if gettin' all clearance, then will have above mentioned power pack + Prius Hybrid system too,ready for cloudy winter sky season. So wait up, once all things clear, will invite you over to experience it, touch and feel for you all free of charges!
That is, fraggle092, if you reside in Chilelandia somewhere...

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:27 pm

If anyone interesting in building a very quiet and economical power generating system there in Chile, will help in finding and sending this Toyota Hybrid juice producing package. it is super reliable powerful enough to providing necessary power that can move 2 ton + car to speed of more than 100 mph in a few seconds ( almost no money spending ) and durable to withstand the heavy duty Taxi 24 hrs operation to proven 600 thousand miles. Imagine how economical just using miser 5 gallons to power your entire home appliances for more than 3 days. Combine this power unit with photovoltaic system in your roof..Rain or sleet this system is working for you, amazing available technology.

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:13 pm

100mph? I suggest you keep the max speed to 87 just incase.
I blog on life in Chile at http://www.idledreamer.com

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:36 pm

Britkid wrote:100mph? I suggest you keep the max speed to 87 just incase.

Only speed law obeying Brit like yourself will keep at 87, just sayin', 1.6 litres petrol/electric synergy drive, super efficient.

AnciaVagar

Postby AnciaVagar » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:56 pm

This is very intriguing! I'd like more information.
HybridAmbassador: from which esteemed seat(s) of learning did you receive your electrical engineering and mechanical engineering credentials?

fraggle092

Postby fraggle092 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:12 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote: Each battery provides 1.7 Kwh so if rigging 4 batteries for total juice of about 7 Kwh, then money expenditure of US$4800 will provide the necessary power for your home night time energy needs. I thought we started discussing stored energy produced for in Chile solar photovoltaic but what to do in the night when there is no source of juice?

Lost gringo made a post a couple of pages back, I want to draw your attention to what he says about batteries:

lost gringo wrote:I recently installed a 24v solar electric system. I purchased everything from a business named Digishop in Santiago. A Chileno named Tilo is the owner, good guy, knowledgeable about all things solar, excellent service, and he speaks English.

(6) 2ft X 4ft 140w panels, (12) 100 amp hour 12v batteries, 24v inverter, charge controller, panel mounting system, battery monitor, wire, connectors, fuses and complete wiring diagram diagram was $7200 usd including IVA, plus $150 shipping to Puerto Montt.

He used 12 x 12v 100 Ah batteries for a total storage of 14,400 kWh for a smallish installation which gives him enough margin to keep his batteries from deep discharge territory and gets his home through cloudy days.
Après moi, le déluge

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:14 pm

AnciaVagar wrote:This is very intriguing! I'd like more information.
HybridAmbassador: from which esteemed seat(s) of learning did you receive your electrical engineering and mechanical engineering credentials?

AnciaVagar, Show me yours first, then I will show you mine ! Para de joder, mala honda, he,he,he

Return to “Chile Real Estate, Property, and Construction”