Solar Photovoltaic Panels

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
bert.douglas

Re: Solar Photovoltaic Panels

Postby bert.douglas » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:12 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
john wrote:And now this...

Elon Musk leads Tesla effort to build house roofs entirely out of solar panels
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -solarcity

Oh well, I see PG & E going bust, muy pronto!  Shingle sized or much bigger shingles to cover your home's roof.
Bet lots of energy can be harnessed from such vast surface area..Now if those roof shingles and the Tesla home battery
comes down in price for affordability sake, then everything would be all OK..

Battery technology has been very stubborn. Only very small improvements. And still expensive.

But it would be wonderful if every home were self sufficient.

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:36 pm

With solar panels in Chile, can you sell back to the grid?
In 2014/2015 I blogged abount my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268
I curently have a blog about vegetarianism here whytryveg dot wordpress dot com. However, it's not related to Chile.

MJSaywell

Postby MJSaywell » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:23 pm

Britkid wrote:With solar panels in Chile, can you sell back to the grid?

yes if you are on BT1 tarrif, which I think is residential

FrankPintor

Postby FrankPintor » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:04 pm

bert.douglas wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:
john wrote:And now this...

Elon Musk leads Tesla effort to build house roofs entirely out of solar panels
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -solarcity

Oh well, I see PG & E going bust, muy pronto!  Shingle sized or much bigger shingles to cover your home's roof.
Bet lots of energy can be harnessed from such vast surface area..Now if those roof shingles and the Tesla home battery
comes down in price for affordability sake, then everything would be all OK..

Battery technology has been very stubborn. Only very small improvements. And still expensive.

But it would be wonderful if every home were self sufficient.

Well, on that point, self-sufficiency might imply more than you anticipate in the case of a fire. I understand that normal practice by firemen is to disconnect a house from the grid in case of a fire before going in. With a solar powered house that's not possible and I believe that a standard practice is emerging where the house on fire will be left to burn and efforts will be focused on neighbouring properties.

I don't intend to rain on anyone's parade but this is definitely a point worth considering.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

passport

Postby passport » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:38 pm

I once saw firemen entering a neighbor's house by means of a chain saw. No doubt they disconnected the house from the grid before doing that.

fraggle092

Postby fraggle092 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:09 am

HybridAmbassador wrote: The Prius salvaged NiMet battery can yield as much as 1.7KW of useful juice obtained by the solar panels, if me importing the already pre-fabbed 85 sq meters home, then will link perhaps a pair of Prius nickel metal hybrid car's discarded battery and have total of 3.4 KW of ready to use electric power at your wish.

Sorry, but saying "as much as 1.7 kW of useful juice" means nothing unless you state for how long the useful juice lasts.

Power = Energy/Time
Electrical Power is generally measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh)
Electricity utility bills are priced in kWh because you pay for power consumed over a certain time period.

Put simply:

A battery may supply 10 kW of energy for 6 minutes before dying.
Its capacity would be 1 kWh

Another battery may supply 1kW of energy for 10 hours before dying.
Its capacity would be 10 kWh
Après moi, le déluge

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:54 pm

If you have the money to buy real quality photovoltaic panels, avoid the made-in-china cheapo. It is like pay cheap now but pay me more down the year. You can get Panasonic brands with conversion rate approx. 25% or so or get the Chinese ones that claim the same. Or go really high tech and get the Sharp unit with rate of ,Solar Record With 43.5% Efficient Photovoltaic Cell.

Panasonic: http://www.sciencealert.com/panasonic-h ... efficiency

Sharp: http://inhabitat.com/sharps-concentrato ... cy-record/

And if around Puerto varas, there is an Expat that think, finished installing solar panels on a house roof so he might give you a hand but not sure?

Oh, and for home battery. the lead-acid ones are prehistoric units. At least if no Lithium not affordable, then you can get re-furbished NiMh hydride type battery ones from Toyota hybrid system that holds about 35 kw. And it deep cycles charge and fully discharge of more than thousand times. Note: you never go to 50% level anytime, so battery life is eternal, and self cooling gel within for no maintenance. Cost about US$1200..

Or if you want to rig all your house electricity consumption, just get a Toyota Prius and get the juice from the car itself.!
http://lifehacker.com/5118575/use-a-pri ... -generator
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

MJSaywell

Postby MJSaywell » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:18 am

How about pellet stoves or pellet fires anyone had any experience with them ?

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:48 am

FrankPintor wrote:I understand that normal practice by firemen is to disconnect a house from the grid in case of a fire before going in. With a solar powered house that's not possible and I believe that a standard practice is emerging where the house on fire will be left to burn and efforts will be focused on neighbouring properties.

This is a standard practice where, in Chile, US, worldwide?

What are you basing this policy on, you know, do you have articles that point to this, have you seen it happening, something a fireman told you etc....I am a bit skeptical about this policy.

Although it is an interesting point to consider, I agree with that.

I would assume a good solar system would have an easy way to disconnect, although probably from inside the house, or on its exterior, which might be less helpful in a fire, especially to a fireman.
In 2014/2015 I blogged abount my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268
I curently have a blog about vegetarianism here whytryveg dot wordpress dot com. However, it's not related to Chile.

Space Cat

Postby Space Cat » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:19 am

MJSaywell wrote:How about pellet stoves or pellet fires anyone had any experience with them ?

Yes, we installed one this year. A great device: much cleaner than wood and could be programmed to start and stop at required time and days, so we're waking up in a warm house in the winter.

We have Camilla, it's enough for a small house and it works almost 24/7 in July, consuming about 2 bags (18-20kg each) of pellets in 3 days ($3500-4000 for a bag) to keep indoor temperature at 22-23ºC.

fraggle092

Postby fraggle092 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:31 pm

Britkid wrote:What are you basing this policy on, you know, do you have articles that point to this, have you seen it happening, something a fireman told you etc....I am a bit skeptical about this policy.

Well you may be skeptical, but the US electrical code certainly isn't.
The point of rapid-disconnect, of course, is to make the area near the array less risky for first responders.

How The New NEC Codes Will Affect Your Installations

EngineeringDevInsert11.jpg
EngineeringDevInsert11.jpg (79.07 KiB) Viewed 1578 times

Courtesy of PV expert Bill Brooks, here’s how a utility-interactive PV system with no battery storage might be equipped with a rapid-disconnect facility that meets NEC 690.12 requirements. In this example, the PV array sits on the roof. Its inverter is in the garage. Wiring between the roof installation and the inverter runs in metal conduit, through the attic and into the garage. Inside the attic resides a remotely activated switch within 5 ft of where the conduit enters. (The remotely activated disconnect could also sit outside the attic, closer to the array, if that is more practical.) Another shutdown switch must sit within 5 ft of the inverter, unless the inverter itself can internally reduce its voltage below 30V or isolate its capacitors within ten seconds. In the diagram, the dc switch at the inverter is shown as being remotely operated.

A panel array disconnect switch is a must:

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... refighters
Après moi, le déluge

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:26 pm

When I say I am skeptical I mean I am skeptical that fireman will leave houses to burn because they have solar panels. Perhaps I can ask a fireman when I see one.

Return to “Chile Real Estate, Property, and Construction”