Solar Photovoltaic Panels

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
HybridAmbassador

Re: Solar Photovoltaic Panels

Postby HybridAmbassador » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:39 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote: Each battery provides 1.7 Kwh so if rigging 4 batteries for total juice of about 7 Kwh, then money expenditure of US$4800 will provide the necessary power for your home night time energy needs. I thought we started discussing stored energy produced for in Chile solar photovoltaic but what to do in the night when there is no source of juice?

Lost gringo made a post a couple of pages back, I want to draw your attention to what he says about batteries:

lost gringo wrote:I recently installed a 24v solar electric system. I purchased everything from a business named Digishop in Santiago. A Chileno named Tilo is the owner, good guy, knowledgeable about all things solar, excellent service, and he speaks English.

(6) 2ft X 4ft 140w panels, (12) 100 amp hour 12v batteries, 24v inverter, charge controller, panel mounting system, battery monitor, wire, connectors, fuses and complete wiring diagram diagram was $7200 usd including IVA, plus $150 shipping to Puerto Montt.

He used 12 x 12v 100 Ah batteries for a total storage of 14,400 kWh for a smallish installation which gives him enough margin to keep his batteries from deep discharge territory and gets his home through cloudy days.

Wow, that much juice needed to power a house in Chile? Lost Gringo's house must be pretty big. Despite, enough reserve is comforting and give one a peace of mind.
In Latin America, average house consumes about 6.36 kwh per day I thought? Prius Hybrid Nickel Metal battery within the power system, never discharges down to complete depletion. It charges up to 80~85% and down to 15%~20% level. so to withstanding more than millennium times charge,discharge cycle.? An average 80 m2 house night energy use should be suffice Prius NiMet battery of 1.75kwh x 4 to max of 7 kwh..Nickel Metal ones are highly efficient. So instead of going for lead-acid battery, if me, I would go for salvaged Prius NiMet hydride batteries for care free longevity..

I'm curious to find out Lost Gringo's acquired batteries and the expenditure for his system and if his batteries are of lead-acid or Lithium or Nickel-Metal hydride ones?..

Side note: if a cell goes bad in Toyota NiMet battery, replacing cost from Panasonic should be around US$45~50.00 per cell. It has 26 cells within to compose a Toyota Nimet battery, easy to rebuild a do-it-yourself- thingy. Before those cells were not available to anyone from Panasonic but Toyota, now days Panasonic sells to Hybrid battery re-manufacturers, so those cells are available if one needing to get ahold.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

FrankPintor

Re: Solar Photovoltaic Panels

Postby FrankPintor » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:24 am

Britkid wrote:
FrankPintor wrote:I understand that normal practice by firemen is to disconnect a house from the grid in case of a fire before going in. With a solar powered house that's not possible and I believe that a standard practice is emerging where the house on fire will be left to burn and efforts will be focused on neighbouring properties.

This is a standard practice where, in Chile, US, worldwide?

What are you basing this policy on, you know, do you have articles that point to this, have you seen it happening, something a fireman told you etc....I am a bit skeptical about this policy.

Although it is an interesting point to consider, I agree with that.

I would assume a good solar system would have an easy way to disconnect, although probably from inside the house, or on its exterior, which might be less helpful in a fire, especially to a fireman.

Well, Fraggle pretty much nailed it.

The topic came up in a conversation I had with my son earlier this year (he is actually a qualified Chilean fireman). The motivation for the conversation as this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/07/tesla_model_s_crash_electrical_hazard_fire_brigade_netherlands/ Now, as Fraggle says, cars aren't houses, but there is an obvious indication that firemen are starting to be careful of things that can't be switched off. I can't find the link we looked at regarding solar panels and houses, but this is a fairly good explanation http://www.firerescuemagazine.com/articles/print/volume-9/issue-5/firefighting-operations/tackling-solar-power-challenges.html.

On the other hand, maybe you'll get some kamikaze chainsaw-wielding weones with helmets charging into your solar-powered house, who knows. Since it's an all-volunteer effort in Chile the competence of the various brigades varies a lot.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

Return to “Chile Real Estate, Property, and Construction”