Solar Photovoltaic Panels

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
klrbilly

Solar Photovoltaic Panels

Postby klrbilly » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:36 am

Hi All,

Are there any firms in Chile that sell and install Solar Photovoltaic Panels.

WIth all the trouble about damming the rivers in the South for electric generation does the Chilean goverment give any incentives for small solar farms.

Can you feed back into the grid system what electric you generate in Chile and get paid for the electric that you produce.

With all the Sunshine hours that Chile receives, i can see a say 10kwp being a good investment if all the answers to the above questions are favourable.

Thanks in Advance,

Bill..........................................

klrbilly

Re: Solar Photovoltaic Panels

Postby klrbilly » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:50 am

Maths,

A 10kwp system should generate at least 10,000kwh per year in say the 9th region.

Installation cost very roughly 40.000.000 peso.

Payback time say 10 years.

This is rough estimate as i have just started thinking of the idea.

klrbilly

Postby klrbilly » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:10 pm

This is the sort of installation i was thinking about,

http://www.evoenergy.co.uk/solar-pv-cas ... clesfield/

If it will generate that much in Macclesfield i am sure it will fair better in Chile

klrbilly

Postby klrbilly » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:26 pm

What would be the comparison electrical generation types currently competitive in Chile.

klrbilly

Postby klrbilly » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:26 pm

Yes i do ride a Klr.

Any job,s going as a tour guide working for youself.

I am quite good at map reading.

MJSaywell

Postby MJSaywell » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:30 am

Just bringing this one back to life, anyone have any experience of comments on this thread ?

Wild and Free

Postby Wild and Free » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:12 am

I am in the process of becoming a resident of Chile. I have a friend in the US who buys high quality panels from China and installs them in the US. I have successfully used panels I bought from him, and installed myself, for many years. I know photovoltaics in the US. I plan to use photovoltaics in Chile. I am researching photovoltaics for Chile. There are some important differences. I also know a man who buys panels from China and installs them in Chile. He is about to receive a shipment of panels. I will check the quality of his panels. There are some serious potential problems with hooking up your photovoltaic system to any grid in the US and/or Chile. If there is anyone on this forum who truly knows photovoltaics in the US and Chile please write to me.

MJSaywell

Postby MJSaywell » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:01 pm

Yes I too would be interested in finding out more too, mine would be for off grid solutions

Space Cat

Postby Space Cat » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:49 pm

Our friend in Valdivia has a small company that installs them.
http://siegchile.cl/

He speaks English, by the way.

Kel

Postby Kel » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:53 pm

Wild and Free wrote:I am in the process of becoming a resident of Chile. I have a friend in the US who buys high quality panels from China and installs them in the US. I have successfully used panels I bought from him, and installed myself, for many years. I know photovoltaics in the US. I plan to use photovoltaics in Chile. I am researching photovoltaics for Chile. There are some important differences. I also know a man who buys panels from China and installs them in Chile. He is about to receive a shipment of panels. I will check the quality of his panels. There are some serious potential problems with hooking up your photovoltaic system to any grid in the US and/or Chile. If there is anyone on this forum who truly knows photovoltaics in the US and Chile please write to me.

When I set everything up, I found it was cheaper to buy everything in the US and ship it down on Pallets rather than buy it in Chile. Maybe things have changed but I doubt it.

Its counter-intuitive; however a few examples may suffice. Copper is mined in Chile but the wire made in Chile is very expensive and very stiff and hard to use. I looked all over Santiago and Puerto Montt and couldn't find anything at a descent price (10 years ago, so things may have change). I shipped down large spools of 4-0 cable, 2-0 cable and other wire I needed (thousands of feet of it) and saved thousands, even after paying the customs and customs agent fees.

Deep Cycle Batteries are another good example. I shipped down 24, 2 volt gel batteries for a battery bank, each weighing 80 pounds (and about twice the size of a car battery) to give me a small 48 volt battery bank. At the time, I couldn't find 2 volt batteries this size in Chile. I still think they would be a special order item. Anyway, it was cheaper to buy them in the states and ship them. I also priced Outback inverters in Chile and ended up shipping them to save money.

In regards to batteries, there are some new technologies that you should consider but they aren't available in Chile, as far as I know. They weren't available when I set up my system but now you can get A stack of Aquion saltwater batteries for cents on the dollar compared with standard deep-cycle batteries. In my opinion Aquion batteries are way better for solar than standard deep cycle batteries because you can discharge them all the way to zero without damaging them. So you need a much smaller bank to get the same amount of power. https://www.altestore.com/store/deep-cy ... QUS30-0080

For solar panels, you can get cheap Chinese panels if you want. But if you want true quality and longevity that will survive the winds in Chile, consider Solar World panels, made in the US and Germany. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6v2lDa8Hos http://www.solarworld-usa.com/products- ... lar-panels. Many of the Chinese panels flex in the wind and this can damage them over time. Ask your friend what he recommends.

If you just need one or two solar panels, you can send them down via CorrerosDeChile through their dedicated freight forwarder in Miami. I've done it and it worked out fine. Its a great service for all kinds of things. You can buy whatever you want on Amazon or at the AltE store and send it directly to Chile with very little hassle and without a customs agent if it is under ($900 I think) Here is their website. https://secure2.casillamiami.correos.cl ... Itemid=233.

If you decide to send down a pallet or container, you will need a customs agent. The owners of this forum sometimes are willing to help with the customs agent, translating the bill of lading and other things related to shipping really large shipments to Chile.
Taking aim from the grassy knoll...

Kel

Postby Kel » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:54 pm

If you just want to power a few lights and charge your computer, get everything in Chile, no problem. But if you want a large installation that will power everything in your house, including your vacuum cleaner you should consider this: Get your friend who buys and installs solar in the USA to design you a turn-key system and buy everything for you. Put it in on pallets, and after it gets to your location, fly him down to install it! Sounds expensive, but I would hazzard to say that in the end, it would probably save you lots of money and hassle.

Just sayin... :idea:
Taking aim from the grassy knoll...

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:28 pm

There are hundreds of companies that do this now in Chile, some of them foreign owned and run, capable of doing everything from powering your campsite to building industrial wind farms. Why would you spend that kind of money to reinvent the wheel?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Return to “Chile Real Estate, Property, and Construction”