Good GPS for car

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Re: Good GPS for car

Postby Britkid » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:51 pm

Took me two hours of trying to buy the Tom Tom Chile map. Everything went wrong from unaccepted voucher codes (I had to buy in the end without the $10 voucher they gave me when I called them), to doubts about compatibility with my device (it seems the Chile map IS compatible with my device but not the South America one, according to the website), to the website not accepting me and saying I was registered to a different country. Lot of hassle just to buy 1 product online.

Companies have got to understand that even though people will happily sit in smoke fumes to drive 1 hour to the store and back an online purchase must be over in 15 minutes or you want to throw the computer out of the window. This may not be logical, but it is a fact.

When I finally resolved all of the issues and got through to the payment stage it rejected all three of the cards I tried, and I gave up.

I eventually decided to have another go since otherwise I am going to have to buy a whole new GPS, and the GPS was a present from my parents so they will be pleased if I can still use it. This time I tried the UK website instead of the US one, £ instead of $, selected my country of residence as UK to match the address I gave for the billing details, gave up on trying to use the voucher code, and it worked this time.
In 2014/2015 I blogged abount my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268
I curently have a blog about vegetarianism here whytryveg dot wordpress dot com. However, it's not related to Chile.

jehturner

Postby jehturner » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:20 am

Daft thing. We bought our first map from Tom Tom while in the UK, using a UK credit card, but it refused to sell us the UK-only map because our billing address is in Chile (or something; as if that were a good excuse)...

AnciaVagar

Postby AnciaVagar » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:36 pm

Unfortunately, TomTom’s map format is secret so using third party maps is difficult or impossible. See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TomTom

Sorry if I sound like a broken record but I have a little experience with Open Street Maps (OSM) on Garmin navigators and on a smartphone (offline). OSM publishes maps in a Garmin specific format and also in a generic format. Both are free of cost. I have OSM maps installed on two Garmin Nuvis and an Etrex handheld. Though not tested extensively in Chile, their routing appears to work well.

I also have OSM offline maps installed on a smartphone via the free app OSMAnd. The app’s routing is not as slick as TomTom or Garmin but it works. There are other apps that use OSM and probably some of them have better features including routing.

Just FYI, OSM allows editing of their map and they seem to respond quicker to error reports than Garmin or TomTom.

goingtravelling 2012

Postby goingtravelling 2012 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:22 pm

If you have a smart phone you can download a free SatNav app from Navmii. There are maps for 152 countries from around the world and you need no data plan as it holds the maps on the device. We're in Peru at the moment, coming to Chile later so I don't know how good the Chile maps are, but I know they are available for free. I downloaded the Peru maps and the detail, directions and accuracy are amazing and all totally free. You just need to be careful how many maps you download at once as it uses memory, so I'll delete the Peru maps and insert the Chile maps as we move down there just to save memory.

Billhere

Postby Billhere » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:54 pm

I have used Waze in the UK, Europe and the USA. It is free and is community led in that if you spot trouble on the road you can put it in and everybody knows about it as it appears on the map.

It came out the best of the free GPS in a recent review in a British newspaper with Tom Tom as the best overall. I have Tom Tom but I rate WAZE as far better.

It must work in Chile, a friend from Antofagasta told me about it.

Harry2017

Postby Harry2017 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:30 pm

I prefer Google Maps,
more official

at46

Postby at46 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:41 am

Harry2017 wrote:I prefer Google Maps,
more official

Could you explain what you mean by more official? I like Waze because of the police warnings it gives you and better routing. Also, Google Maps often fails to connect in certain areas of Santiago. I'm not sure if it's my shitty phone's problem or what but I haven't had that issue with Waze. My only issue with Waze is it only allows typing while the vehicle is stationary.

Harry2017

Postby Harry2017 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:36 pm

at46 wrote:
Harry2017 wrote:I prefer Google Maps,
more official

Could you explain what you mean by more official? I like Waze because of the police warnings it gives you and better routing. Also, Google Maps often fails to connect in certain areas of Santiago. I'm not sure if it's my shitty phone's problem or what but I haven't had that issue with Waze. My only issue with Waze is it only allows typing while the vehicle is stationary.

Google owns Waze.
the the two apps have been migrating. before I stopped using waze it was not adapting to miss turns like google maps does.
before once you pick your route from the 3 choices the app sticks to that route. if you missed a turns it would reroute you back to the same route.
In Paps you miss a turn it gets the next best route.
by the way i have not driven in Santiago yet

at46

Postby at46 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:39 am

Harry2017 wrote:before I stopped using waze it was not adapting to miss turns like google maps does.

It does adapt now but not immediately, only after you pass your supposed turn by a couple of blocks. I've been driving with Waze these last couple of days in Santiago and noticed that it looses GPS connection sometimes in the Centro. It also crashed a couple of times and rebooting my phone didn't help, no idea why, so I had to switch to Google Maps. I also think Waze drains your battery faster than Google. I have my phone always charging in the car when I use it but at the end of the trip the battery has less charge left than when I started.

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:20 pm

The Tom Tom map is good. I have used it around the central region a number of times and also drove from Puerto Montt to Coyhaique with it. It doesn't seem to know that Coyhaique has a 1-way system all over the town though.
In 2014/2015 I blogged abount my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268
I curently have a blog about vegetarianism here whytryveg dot wordpress dot com. However, it's not related to Chile.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:18 pm

Yea, I am debating getting a dedicated GPS system for my car. Waze has been great, but my phone depends on fake GPS (cell signal, not GPS signal), so once the cell networks are gone, the functionality degrades, especially in more remote areas.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

AnciaVagar

Postby AnciaVagar » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:27 pm

[PS: Now I read your post more carefully, I see your phone does not have true GPS; see second paragraph below.] You might look at "offline map navigator apps" for smartphones. I use OSMand and there are several others. I have downloaded a very detailed map of all of Chile and never have to connect to anything except GPS. I also use a dedicated GPS daily in the US.

Dedicated GPS navigators are so out of fashion that they can be had cheaply. And at least the Garmins can easily use third party maps (TomTom not so much). You can use manufacturers' maps that have known excellent routing -- check websites for prices of Chile maps. Or use free/cheap third party maps that have unknown quality routing. Some models have capacitive touch screens, but older ones have pressure touch screens as I use. It's not an issue to me, but check first.

I have a free third party map of all of Chile loaded into a Garmin nuvi (car) and into an etrex (hiking). The map is more detailed and more up to date than Garmin's maps. It works well but I have not tested the routing extensively.

One advantage of Dedicated GPS navigators is that they tend to have fast routing engines (separate from the routing database) compared to routing apps.

Return to “Living in Chile”