Good GPS for car

General topics related to Living in Chile
Don Alan

Good GPS for car

Postby Don Alan » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:32 pm

Hi, any recommendations regarding this. I bought a Garmin Nuv 40 when I came back here in January 2013 and I have been very disappointed with its accuracy, at times being completely useless. I live in Santiago and sometimes go further afield on holiday. When I am driving around in Santiago I notice a lot of driver with GPS and I wonder if I just bought a bad brand with regard to Chile.

zer0nz

Re: Good GPS for car

Postby zer0nz » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:52 pm

Most have errors because the use the same bad maps

Get a smart phone and use waze its maps can be updated by users so are usually good

Plus all the traffic warnings

Downside need a data plan

seawolf180

Postby seawolf180 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:45 am

Try NSA.
Don't Tread On Me Either.
crtv.com
conservativereview.com
Question Authority!

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:46 am

waze all the way.

it just got me out of 6 hour traffic jam because of an accident ahead coming out of valdivia the other day. you get the news from the other users closer to the accident, and the alternative routes they are using. the gps failed on the back road it gave me for lack of cell and gps signal, but i already had the map.

it has also saved me a bunch of speeding tickets. the carbinerios in chile have been openly complaining about it, but i think overall it makes their job easier if even a few cars avoid heavy traffic areas or hazards on the roads.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Don Alan

Postby Don Alan » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:24 pm

Many thanks, I had never heard of Waze.

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:50 pm

I bought an Autonav 57TVD. Rather impulse decision after spending time looking for free Garmins for Garmin online. Just did it because the Garmin was more expensive or had a smaller screen or something.

Only used it about 5 or 10 times so far. After what I read online on sites about the poor accuracy of Chile maps (almost leading me to believe that they would show about 10% of the centre of Santiago plus some motorways in the rest of the country!), I was pleasantly surprised. It seems to be pretty good and accurate over 90% of the time.

A few little things I noticed, but these are really minor compared to what I expected:

---Told me at least twice to turn after 50 yards when the turn was about 20 yards away, causing me to miss a turn.

---Thought we were driving around in a field when I was actually on a road. Had no record of the road. Not too bad since it was a new development with the housing estate not even finished. Only did this once.

---Said we have arrived at destination when destination was actually 100 yards down the road, or in one case 100 yards away on a different street.

Once I set a destination I have some difficulty getting it to show me the route I've chosen, not sure if that's just because I haven't found the option. Usability of the actual device is pretty average.

It's not as good as the Tom Tom I had in the UK, but definately better that expected in terms of map. I would reccomend it.

I bought it from Falabella in Plaza Oeste. The cable broke after a couple of weeks, with the connector all twisted. Not sure if it was dodgy or if it was my fault, I did leave it loose in my rucksack. However Falabella opened the box of another GPS and gave me another cable for free.
In 2014/2015 I blogged abount my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268
I curently have a blog about vegetarianism here whytryveg dot wordpress dot com. However, it's not related to Chile.

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:59 pm

There is some info online about free map downloads for Garmin which are claimed to be good. I would consider googling that first before buying another model.
In 2014/2015 I blogged abount my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268
I curently have a blog about vegetarianism here whytryveg dot wordpress dot com. However, it's not related to Chile.

zer0nz

Postby zer0nz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:20 am

Britkid wrote:I bought an Autonav 57TVD. Rather impulse decision after spending time looking for free Garmins for Garmin online. Just did it because the Garmin was more expensive or had a smaller screen or something.

Only used it about 5 or 10 times so far. After what I read online on sites about the poor accuracy of Chile maps (almost leading me to believe that they would show about 10% of the centre of Santiago plus some motorways in the rest of the country!), I was pleasantly surprised. It seems to be pretty good and accurate over 90% of the time.

A few little things I noticed, but these are really minor compared to what I expected:

---Told me at least twice to turn after 50 yards when the turn was about 20 yards away, causing me to miss a turn.

---Thought we were driving around in a field when I was actually on a road. Had no record of the road. Not too bad since it was a new development with the housing estate not even finished. Only did this once.

---Said we have arrived at destination when destination was actually 100 yards down the road, or in one case 100 yards away on a different street.

Once I set a destination I have some difficulty getting it to show me the route I've chosen, not sure if that's just because I haven't found the option. Usability of the actual device is pretty average.

It's not as good as the Tom Tom I had in the UK, but definately better that expected in terms of map. I would reccomend it.

I bought it from Falabella in Plaza Oeste. The cable broke after a couple of weeks, with the connector all twisted. Not sure if it was dodgy or if it was my fault, I did leave it loose in my rucksack. However Falabella opened the box of another GPS and gave me another cable for free.

haha good old dodgy falabella,

My biggest problem with the GPS maps have been the one way systems in centro, some of them were physically changed but never changed on the maps, they may be rihgt now,

they don't handle well the tidal systems. (neither does waze)
Waze also works terribly in the tunnel system

And most hte time, most hte maps think your on the motorway, rather thant he road going beside it... or vice versa, mainly because i feel the coordinates on the road in the map are wrong, rather than a accuracy problem...

My new phone uses both the American and Russian GPS systems side by side so the accuracy is greatly improved.... i would suggest anyone buying a gps right now consider a dual system, when they are used side by side you have 48 satellites or what every rather than the 24 from just the american system, this makes the gps work rather well inside a city... google it for more info!

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:09 pm

actually I did have that, it thought I was on a major road but I was on the feeder road. You pretty much need to look at the image as well as listening

zer0nz

Postby zer0nz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:12 pm

Britkid wrote:actually I did have that, it thought I was on a major road but I was on the feeder road. You pretty much need to look at the image as well as listening

Vespucio Sur out your way is terrible for it, i don't think i have ever driven from plaza oeste around to las condes direction without it saying being stuck in "recalculating route" it thinks i'm about 100m off to the south on the side roads!

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:29 pm

That Vespucio/Plaza Oeste section is part of the reason I bought the GPS. It is so confusing. You can see where you want to get to 100 yards away and it takes 20 minutes to get there! (getting lost without GPS)

charlescellist

Postby charlescellist » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:02 pm

Stay away from Tom Tom Chile (iphone version)
Constantly asking me to go the wrong way up motorway offramps, and it determined that in Pangipulli i was actually in the middle of a lake (I'm pretty sure i wasn't). Worst piece of software I've installed on the iPhone to date.

Return to “Living in Chile”