Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.

Spanish forms for bringing cat to Chile?

Postby NuevaPortena » Sat May 05, 2012 10:11 am

Hi everyone,

I'm planning my move from the US to Chile (meeting up with my husband, a Chilean, who got a job there), and have been trying to do all of my homework about getting my kitty there safe and sound with me. I've been reading through the forum threads, have been in touch with my vet, and think I get the whole process about getting the health certificate and getting it stamped by APHIS. Here's the thing I'm still not clear about (and forgive me if I missed this somewhere else on the forum!): I've heard that the health certificate needs to be in both English and Spanish, but the APHIS website says they only stamp forms that are either in English or bilingual.Does anyone know whether a bilingual form exists? Has anyone gone through the effort of getting the stamped health certificate translated or something like that?

Thanks!!
NuevaPortena

Re: Spanish forms for bringing cat to Chile?

Postby picalena » Sat May 05, 2012 1:52 pm

NuevaPortena -

I am pretty sure one does not exist. We tried again just a few months ago to find one to no avail. However, if you read this post:

topic7445.html

you will see what we and others have done. You don't need to have it officially translated.

Good luck with the trip and transporting the kitty!

pl
“The tree long remembers what the axe soon forgets.”
Some guy on the internet
picalena

Postby brian.usa » Tue May 08, 2012 4:53 pm

Hello,

My mother recently traveled with my cat from the US to Chile and I as well was worried that there was going to be problems with the bi-lingual certificate as she only had one in english. To make things short, the kitty is here in Chile and no problems whatsoever.

EDIT: Make sure you read what the airline requirements are for traveling with pets. We just added a drip water dispensor to the cage and made sure the cage was the appropriate size for my cat! (as recommended on LANs website)
brian.usa

Postby California South » Tue May 08, 2012 7:18 pm

OP, just want to make sure you know that SAG Chile has form requirements too? You'll find the info and form here:
http://www.sag.gob.cl/OpenDocs/asp/pagD ... NodoSel=14

We brought a few pets with us recently, and while SAG is very strict, they were great to work with, so if you have any questions, contact them. They patiently helped us through a complicated pet situation. The USDA people in our state were much more bureaucratic vs. the SAG people we were communicating with, and met several times after arrival. Extremely professional and respectful of the animals.
Stultorum infinitus est numerus
California South

Postby California South » Tue May 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Oh, and amen to Brian's point about airline travel requirements.
And don't book your airfare until you confirm they have availability on the flight you select for your pet. Many airlines will limit the amount of pets per flight.
We flew with LAN, and they rolled out the red carpet for our pets. But Air Canada will permit your cat in the cabin with you: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/ ... cabin.html
Lastly, get a direct flight. It minimizes stress on the animal, and if he/she does travel in cargo, it minimizes the risk of non transfer at connecting stop. Even if you don't change planes, cargo can be offloaded.
California South

Postby NuevaPortena » Tue May 15, 2012 9:47 pm

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your replies! I definitely want to go with Air Canada - I just hate the idea of checking the poor little guy! I'll definitely double check on the airline requirements, make sure there's room for him before I book the flight, etc.

By the way, what do you all think about tranquilizing cats for this kind of trip? My vet says it can make cats feel even more freaked out in a situation like that, but I'm thinking I should ask for some pills just in case? He's a pretty relaxed kitty overall, but still...

Thank you again!
NuevaPortena

Postby Naolin » Thu May 17, 2012 8:47 pm

The advice I was given on tranquilizing was don't do it. The reason being is that no one is going down into cargo during the flight to check on the animals and so if they have a bad reaction there will be no way of telling. (Even if someone was to go down, they're not allowed to open any of the cages, they're shut with zipper ties at the airport). Its a bit more scary for the pets, but far safer to keep them sober.
Delta will also allow pets on board, it just as an allocated number of spots, so you have to call them up and inform them. I have two cats (brothers) that I brought in last May with Delta. They had to go under because Delta has a requirement that they be able to stand up in their carry case AND that the carrying case fits under the seat infront of you. While I wanted my babies with me, I was pleasantly surprised to hear that rule (and didn't put up a fight since they obviously had the pets best interest in mind). I also took advantage of the fact that I could give them a bigger cage and put them together if I flew them in cargo. They had toys, drip water, a bed that is nicer than the one I slept on for two months (ie- the floor), and the staff even loved on them through the door while they were waiting to put them on. (Ok, the last part I only saw up until I passed the ticket counter, but it was reassuring none the less). Customs was super easy, my food was taken away but they weren't mean about it, just explained that because it didnt enter in a sealed and labeled bag there was no way they could prove what was in it. eh, not a huge deal. After that I was just told I had to keep them inside for 3 weeks and that I was free to go :)
They both live like kings down here now and were fully adjusted in about 3 hours, so apparently there was no lasting trauma ;)
Naolin

Postby California South » Thu May 17, 2012 10:13 pm

A big no to tranquilizers from me too.
Get some Bach Flower. Administer as needed. Some pets need it frequently for calming, others sail along quite nicely w/just a little. Put a few drops in the drinking water also.
Good info via google about it. We've used it for years re: pet travel.
California South

Return to Chile Pets and Animals