Customs - transiting through US question

Postby Another Joe » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:12 pm

The thread on wine made me think about something I hadn't really considered before.

I've been exploring different options in regard to how to get to Chile. It's interesting that we can fly for much less if we leave from Canada. However, it looks like all flights down stop in the U.S. somewhere.

Are there unforeseen issues for an American to cross into Canada in order to fly to Chile?

I'm assuming that we have to go through U.S. customs when passing through the U.S. Would we have to reenter a secure area then, submitting to the TSA scope and grope? I really don't want to subject myself to the rubber glove treatment, and am not willing to volunteer for the radiation program.
Unapologetically conservative (from a contemporary perspective), liberal (historically), complementary (gender perspective), Austrian (economically), Christian (fallen perspective) and, thus, contrarian (lemming perspective).
www.notanotheraveragejoe.com
Another Joe

Re: Customs - transiting through US question

Postby rican » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:42 pm

When you fly internationally, there is a waiting area in most US airports where they hold those that don't want to go through customs/immigration. Since you're flying from the 51st state, it might not be required.
rican

Postby nwdiver » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:48 pm

Another Joe wrote:The thread on wine made me think about something I hadn't really considered before.

I've been exploring different options in regard to how to get to Chile. It's interesting that we can fly for much less if we leave from Canada. However, it looks like all flights down stop in the U.S. somewhere.

Are there unforeseen issues for an American to cross into Canada in order to fly to Chile?

I'm assuming that we have to go through U.S. customs when passing through the U.S. Would we have to reenter a secure area then, submitting to the TSA scope and grope? I really don't want to subject myself to the rubber glove treatment, and am not willing to volunteer for the radiation program.

Fly Air Canada Toronto to Santiago direct, but it must be cheaper from Dallas or Miami.
It's all about the wine.
http://chilecopadevino.com/
nwdiver

Postby Another Joe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:27 am

patagoniax wrote:You could overthrow the government there. I think they've been asking for it.

I would, but apparently they've already set up new living quarters for me in the event that I even think about trying. http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/d ... s_12072011
I'd rather leave instead.

nwdiver wrote:Fly Air Canada Toronto to Santiago direct, but it must be cheaper from Dallas or Miami.

It might be cheaper from either of those, but I'm a whole lot closer to Toronto than either of those. Besides, both of those airports sorta defeat the purpose of my question. :mrgreen:
Unapologetically conservative (from a contemporary perspective), liberal (historically), complementary (gender perspective), Austrian (economically), Christian (fallen perspective) and, thus, contrarian (lemming perspective).
Another Joe

Postby California South » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:07 pm

Hey AJ - I heartily agree with the recommendation to fly from Toronto directly to Santiago. We've barely been here a month and have already had to utilize this trip 2x (family in TO). For now it's worth the time and trouble to do so, and is a stark contrast to the US / TSA horror show which we endured when we departed the US last month.
We also explored the Miami / Dallas cost comparison to Stgo, vs Air Canada / Toronto to Stgo.... surprisingly, Toronto to Stgo was comparable or cheaper at the times we explored - this may depend on time of year, etc.
Stultorum infinitus est numerus
California South

Postby Red » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:29 pm

Two years ago, when we were figuring out costs etc of getting down to Chile, the Toronto/SCL flight was the cheapest (by quite a bit). And that was including the flight from N California to Toronto. We ended up discounting it due to the length of time required in flight time and layovers as we had 3 kids to haul around. Also as I recall, it was a typical round trip ticket and we only wanted to purchase one way.

We ended up taking a ship down on a one way ticket and had a blast doing so (SF to Valpo)

Don't let the Legionnaire egg you on, AJ; those revolutions are messy affairs :P
"Don't believe them; don't fear them; don't ask anything of them"
Red

Postby Another Joe » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Thought about the cruise. Actually, I've contacted a couple of lines to see about it, but it's pricey. Still might consider it though.

Yeah, Red, I'm hoping not to be around if it revolves again... it's like a melted box of chocolates.

Thanks for the input everyone. Looking more and more like we're pushed back to next summer/winter. We'll see...
Another Joe

Return to Moving to Chile