Permission to sell bread, sir?

Postby moravagine » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:21 pm

I have perfected a few bread recipes and am going to take a shot at selling some loaves.

I have already sold some to friends and family to excellent reviews, and would now like to take my product to the rest of the outside world.

What kind of permission will I need to legally sell bread in public places or to restaurants?

I'm a card-holding temporary resident with permission to work.

ps. Parties interested in rosemary focaccia, toasted sesame sandwich bread or sourdough around the V region may PM me :wink:
moravagine

Re: Permission to sell bread, sir?

Postby jehturner » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:49 am

Don't get too excited. The brewery nearest here told me it took them 2 years to get their permits...
jehturner

Postby zer0nz » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:07 am

Hey, you stole this idea from my head, this is on my list of get rich quick schemes for chile, Good luck, wish you were in santiago selling this bread!

pd. its legal until you get caught and told otherwise!
zer0nz

Postby griffin » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:43 am

For a long-term business proposition, I'm sure getting a permit would be a very good idea. Just for testing the market though, another thought:

Every Friday a guy on a motorcycle turns up in our school parking lot as the students are getting out, he is selling loaves of fresh bread. The parents of students are often selling fruit, nuts, vegetables, olive oil etc. out of the backs of their cars. I guarantee no permits are involved here....but try not to show up at one of the schools that have a carabinero out front helping kids across the crosswalk (although this is usually a morning thing). And bring lots of change, no one ever has any...

Good luck! Wish you could come to our school.
griffin

Postby Groschi » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:45 am

I think moravagine was talking about BREAD not BEER, its not exactly the same. :wink:
PISCO ELQUI:
Room available - on a daily or weekly basis with TV, WIFI and own bathroom.
19.000 per day or 120.000 per week
Groschi

Postby rican » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:55 am

Permits to sell alcohol will always be more difficult. I do agree that the best way to start is the usual Latin American route of selling out of the back of your car. I'm pretty sure that most people that run businesses out of their homes do not have any permits.
rican

Postby ryanar » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:00 am

There's a señora that arrives at our office door every week with a suitcase in tow. She sells bread, biscuits, cakes and hamburgers (I can't get used to calling them sandwiches). There are also numerous "stalls" set up around town selling all sorts of crap, including food. My favourite guy is the one selling artichokes from his wheelbarrow, loaded so high he can't see over the top of it. Guarantee no permits in use. And what zer0nz said...

My partner has the same idea for getting rich out of the bread I make too, but it's nowhere near as interesting as rosemary focaccia. Now I'm hungry too.
ryanar

Postby Gloria » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:28 am

moravagine wrote:I have perfected a few bread recipes and am going to take a shot at selling some loaves.

I have already sold some to friends and family to excellent reviews, and would now like to take my product to the rest of the outside world.

What kind of permission will I need to legally sell bread in public places or to restaurants?

I'm a card-holding temporary resident with permission to work.

ps. Parties interested in rosemary focaccia, toasted sesame sandwich bread or sourdough around the V region may PM me :wink:

Here's my 2 cents. I owned a custom cake business in the US.. You need to learn to crawl before you start walking. I started out my house ( no permits) before I jumped into a full time business renting else where and from home I built up a customer base. When I opened the doors, I got enough customers to be able to pay the rent. Baking bread is tricky, you need to take in consideration the shelf life of the product, you also need some equipment etc. The fact that you bake some loaves it doesn't make you a full fledge baker. I'm not trying to discourage you, my purpose is for you to know what to expect and instead of thinking to "take your product to the rest of the world" go small, build your customer base, inquire about " home equipment" and continue what you are doing for a couple of years, by then you'll have some experience and be able to make the right decisions for the future. Good luck!
I'm from the generation of common sense and wisdom- so don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining!
Gloria

Postby swdchile » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:47 pm

moravagine wrote:...interested in rosemary focaccia, toasted sesame sandwich bread or sourdough around the V region may PM me :wink:

Gloria is spot on. Very good advice for any small business regardless of the product. If your product is good, they will come, but you need to grow your business slowly, carefully and deliberately. Otherwise you will become just another statistic in the 70% of small businesses that fail within the first three years.

And sort of off topic, but not really since it's about bread. This will sound crude and is, but I think at this point I would sell my sister for a dozen bagels. And it doesn't help one bit when I see row upon row of Philadelphia Cream Cheese in Jumbo. Moravagine, do you make bagels?
Scout's Honor
swdchile

Postby mandita » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:57 pm

Bagels can be had in Santiago at Montreal Bagels, Diagonal Oriente 1915, Nuñoa
near Pedro de Valdivia.

As for getting permits, there is a nice German guy in Nuñoa who makes and delivers [by bike] a good bread. He has been in the process of 'getting permits' for at least a year, to sell from his own shop front. Meanwhile he keeps on baking and delivering and building up the customers...good way to go, I reckon.
mandita

Postby nwdiver » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:14 pm

It should be simple, in many communities it’s the corner store running a small bakery for simple pan, a friend goes in the morning and afternoon for pan fresh from the oven to the corner store in La Reina.
It's all about the wine.
http://chilecopadevino.com/
nwdiver

Postby swdchile » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:26 pm

mandita wrote:Bagels can be had in Santiago at Montreal Bagels, Diagonal Oriente 1915, Nuñoa
near Pedro de Valdivia.

Anyone know of bagels in La Serena?
Scout's Honor
swdchile

Next

Return to Jobs in Chile and Work Related Issues in Chile