Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Re: Immigrating

Postby Red » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:21 am

Y'all are forgetting his best bet: the Chilean Foreign Legion. Give 'em four years and it's automatic citizenship. No psychological testing necessary, but you do have to learn Chilean Castellano. Lots of marching around the Atacama, wearing cool hats and taking orders from the sadistic sargeant who is more dangerous to you than any Bolivian.

http://www.march_or_die.cl
"Don't believe them; don't fear them; don't ask anything of them"
Red

Postby Red » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:31 pm

WhatSayYou wrote: Serving Chile with my life would be something I'd like to do to prove my devotion to my new country.

If this guy isnt a candidate for the Foreign Legion, I don't know who is. And if he's a criminal or a Greek running from austerity, so much the better.

patagoniax wrote:That will be $500.

All advice and assistance free of charge. Just control those pesky Bolivians, huh?

patagoniax wrote:
Red wrote:Y'all are forgetting his best bet: the Chilean Foreign Legion. Give 'em four years and it's automatic citizenship. No psychological testing necessary, but you do have to learn Chilean Castellano. Lots of marching around the Atacama, wearing cool hats and taking orders from the sadistic sargeant who is more dangerous to you than any Bolivian.

http://www.march_or_die.cl

For those who just tuned in, this is a joke.

Nonsense! I saw a movie about them. I'm sure that was the Atacama. Not much of a recruiting tool , though, all but one guy died; movie should have starred John Wayne, maybe. Did you hit the link? I know you did!
Red

Postby Skraeling » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:38 am

Chile has a foreign legion?
Skraeling

Postby Red » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:27 pm

Skraeling wrote:Chile has a foreign legion?

Indeed it does. Of sorts. Allow me to explain.

Astride the Southern Cone in Patagonia Sur stands a colussus. A lone individual- yes, a foreigner, has single-handedly repelled thousands of starry-eyed invaders: dreamers, greenies, wannabes, builders, entrepreneurs- it runs the gamut. All done by purely electronic means- no bloodshed or forced marches! His services in securing the borders of the Chilean Republic from the hordes have not gone un-noticed in either Santiago (or Fruitillar :shock:) .

And if that ain't a Foreign Legion, I don't know what is!
Red

Postby john » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:21 pm

Red wrote:

Astride the Southern Cone in Patagonia Sur stands a colussus. A lone individual- yes, a foreigner, has single-handedly repelled thousands of starry-eyed invaders: dreamers, greenies, wannabes, builders, entrepreneurs- it runs the gamut. All done by purely electronic means- no bloodshed or forced marches! His services in securing the borders of the Chilean Republic from the hordes have not gone un-noticed in either Santiago (or Fruitillar :shock:) .

Indeed! However, Px's safari (pith) helmet has to go in favour of a French Foreign Legion cap similar to the one worn by Gary Cooper in Beau Geste. :lol:
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell
john

Postby Red » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:04 pm

patagoniax wrote:That will be on the final.

No tests for me thank you; I'll remain the kid shooting spitballs from the back row. :P

patagoniax wrote:The work of that particular legionnaire is strictly humanitarian, and has doubtless forestalled a great deal of suffering in this country by the chronically hapless and the perpetually unprepared.

And humorously done as well! Pax, I'd salute you, but, clumsy soldier that I am, I'd probably knock off my quepi and earn the wrath of Sargeant Major :twisted: Dagineau.
Red

Postby no country for young men » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:18 pm

Red wrote:

i'm one of his victims or I'd vote for him.
no country for young men

Postby john » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:08 pm

[quote="Red

And humorously done as well! Pax, I'd salute you, but, clumsy soldier that I am, I'd probably knock off my quepi and earn the wrath of Sargeant Major :twisted: Dagineau.[/quote]

I'd salute to Px too if I were able to project an image of him wearing a quepi. :P

BTW, the 1966 version of Beau Geste was not very good although Telly Savalas gave an excellent performance as Sgt. Major Dagineau. I prefer the 1939 Beau Geste version with Brian Donlevy (Academy Award nomination for best supporting actor) giving a memorable performance as the sadistic Sgt. Markoff.
--- Bertrand Russell
john

Postby john » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:09 pm

patagoniax wrote:
john wrote:I prefer the 1939 Beau Geste version with Brian Donlevy (Academy Award nomination for best supporting actor) giving a memorable performance as the sadistic Sgt. Markoff.

But Donlevy is smiling and Milland is frowning. :shock: Is this an outtake? :?
--- Bertrand Russell
john

Postby rocksana » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:59 pm

WhatSayYou wrote: PX said it was 18-24, but the CIA factbook claims you can volunteer between the ages of 18 and 45.

Probably you are thinking about the 'reservistas':

http://www.ejercito.cl/reservistas.php
rocksana

Postby rocksana » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:06 am

patagoniax wrote:It is my understanding that the Chilean "reservistas" programme, for all practical purposes, is usually limited to those who had previous Chilean military training prior to age 24

Oh, ok, in the link reads:
" de los requisitos de ingreso

Ser chileno, mayor de edad, con o sin valer militar....."

I thought it meant with or without previous training, but I don't really understand the meaning of the word 'valer' in that context ,to be honest :s
rocksana

PreviousNext

Return to New Users Start Here: FORUM NEWS