Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Re: Advice on Permancia Definitiva

Postby janni » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:26 pm

jessicak1234 wrote:Mine took about 9 months and there were no problems with my application. They are just painfully slow. My advise to you would be to call and ask them every week. I found out mine was ready over the phone but didn't receive the official notice until almost 2 months later...

Do you by chance have the phone number? My PD is in tramite also, and I was thinking it would only take 3 months or so :roll:

Now that you folks have brought be back down to earth (Chile, specifically), I guess I'd better go back to the local office and ask for a letter of explanation. Sigh.
janni

Postby Amar » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:30 pm

I totally agree with what SlimDickins said. For the past 9 months that's all I've ever seen (tramite) from the website.

HOWEVER, RuneTheChookcha posted a link (see above) which takes you to the OIRS website. On Sunday I filled in the info requested on the site and wrote a few lines stating I've been waiting for my Visa "blah blah blah", pressed send and waited patiently for an answer. Lo and behold, not only did I get a reply back on Monday, but I was told my Visa had been APPROVED! I couldn't believe how quickly they replied to my request and even more surprised I had got the Visa - Exactly 9 months to the day.

Great I thought, the guys and gals in Santiago were finally able to get their pencils "out" and get the paperwork done, no more waiting around for me. Or so I thought. I went to my Visa office here in Conce this Thursday, and showed the Jefe the printed out email. He read it, folded the piece of paper and politely slid it back to me. Smiling, he then said, "tiene que esperar para el certificado".

You gotta hand it to these guys.

So, I am now waiting (what a surprise) for the famed certificate which once received will be the end to my waiting woes!

Now, about that cuenta corriente...
Amar

Postby Amar » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:37 pm

Janni the number is 600 626 4222 - Hopefully you'll be able to get more out of them than I ever could.
Amar

Postby zer0nz » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:41 pm

Amar wrote:I totally agree with what SlimDickins said. For the past 9 months that's all I've ever seen (tramite) from the website.

HOWEVER, RuneTheChookcha posted a link (see above) which takes you to the OIRS website. On Sunday I filled in the info requested on the site and wrote a few lines stating I've been waiting for my Visa "blah blah blah", pressed send and waited patiently for an answer. Lo and behold, not only did I get a reply back on Monday, but I was told my Visa had been APPROVED! I couldn't believe how quickly they replied to my request and even more surprised I had got the Visa - Exactly 9 months to the day.

Great I thought, the guys and gals in Santiago were finally able to get their pencils "out" and get the paperwork done, no more waiting around for me. Or so I thought. I went to my Visa office here in Conce this Thursday, and showed the Jefe the printed out email. He read it, folded the piece of paper and politely slid it back to me. Smiling, he then said, "tiene que esperar para el certificado".

You gotta hand it to these guys.

So, I am now waiting (what a surprise) for the famed certificate which once received will be the end to my waiting woes!

Now, about that cuenta corriente...

Hhaha, i had the same thing, i sent a message to change my address and that it wasnt showing on the website, 24 hours later, all was on the website and address was updated

might wait for the 4 month mark and send the email asking the status... might make it happen faster!

this is usually how chileans filter out real work from false work, i wonder if it is they get sooo many people apply from other south american countries they wait for enquires to see if they are for real or not?
zer0nz

Postby Amar » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:56 pm

Zer0nz, I reckon the OIRS website is much better than the extranjeria.gov.cl site. So for any updates make that your visa process buddy!

What I would really like to know is, what they do during the process? As I said before they didn't call or write to my boss to see if I really worked where I work etc...so they can't be 100% sure I am who I say I am.

Unless they secretly followed me for the past 9 months!
Amar

Postby el gatito » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:10 pm

Amar wrote:I reckon the OIRS website is much better than the extranjeria.gov.cl site.

The fact of the coexistence of these two websites noted in the present topic is not widely known here. Thus, usually, only the automated version of the "extranjeria" system, the one showing the "status", is discussed here on the forum, and quite often called "useless". Thank you for sharing your experience using the human-operated OIRS web service.
Éste era un gato
que tenía los pies de trapo
y la camisa al revés.
¿Querís que te lo cuente otra vez?
el gatito

Postby el gatito » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:21 pm

To further clarify things, please go to the home page: http://www.extranjeria.gov.cl/

There are 3 very important links to the right:

1. "OIRS Extranjeria"
http://siac.interior.gov.cl/

This is the human operated service.

2. "Consultas Extranjeria"
https://consultas.extranjeria.gov.cl/

This is the automated system.

3. "Extranjeria Inglés"
http://www.extranjeria.gov.cl/ingles/

This is the English version of the site.
Éste era un gato
y la camisa al revés.
el gatito

Postby SlimDickins » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:32 am

Amar wrote:I totally agree with what SlimDickins said. For the past 9 months that's all I've ever seen (tramite) from the website.

...and I too did the same, following Rune's comments I used the electronic complaint site last week and like you, got a personalized response that my PD had been approved and was sure to be ready within the next 45 days. While I won't hold my breath, it is always nice to receive some personal touch, albeit from a government functionary.
SlimDickins

Postby el gatito » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:29 pm

Let's hope, then, that the small dispute with respect to the usefulness of the web service (both in this topic, and also elsewhere on the forum) is hereby resolved. And this would be not possible without such personal accounts as yours, and Amar's posted above. Congratulations.
Éste era un gato
y la camisa al revés.
el gatito

Postby bobbert » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:49 am

On the topic of permanencia definitiva:

What happens if I apply and then leave the country?

If you don't register it with the international police and get the new cedula within the 30 days does it invalidate it? Would I have permanent residency in Chile even if I didn't return and get my hands on the certificate and register it until let's say 11 months later after it was issued?
bobbert

Postby Amar » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:31 pm

Gracias el gatito!

Bobbert, from what I gathered you must register within 30 days of receiving your PD certificate. Unless there's a way for you to do it a Chilean embassy abroad - but you'd need the certificate I would imagine?

Months ago I was thinking of doing the same - Apply, then visit my family back in the UK. But then I was told if I get PD I would need to be here and register (again) and get my ID card and . So, unless you're flexible with time, get a ticket out of here, and fly back when the PD comes through - which could be in a weeks time or several months time. (But secretly I think we all know which one it is!)

Also, I was told by the Jefe at the Visa office where I am, (Conce) I could be out of the country for upto 6 months whilst my visa was in process (other regions may vary so double check first). If you do decide to do this, they will write (or ask them to write) an official letter which states you're applying for PD and when you return to Chile, the letter should give you a free pass at immigration.

How far a long are you in the process by the way? If it's early days it could be an option for you but if it's been more than 6 months, maybe it would be wise to just wait it out as I'm sure you'll get a reply soon.

Regards,
Amar

Postby john » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:12 pm

A friend of mine just mailed her application for Permancia Definitiva to Extranjeria in Santiago after first having it reviewed by Extranjeria in Valpo. However, she was not informed of any in country (Chile) residency requirement between the date of her formal application submission and the actual date her PD certificate is issued. For example, upon receiving written confirmation that her PD application had been received (and that she had satisfied all requirements), could she immediately leave Chile and not return until she received her PD certificate in the mail even if that timespan were eight months or longer? :?
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell
john

PreviousNext

Return to Legal Issues