Ticks on dogs??

Postby fadgaget » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:28 am

HI everyone,

I was just wondering if ticks in Chile carry Lyme Disease like in the US? I found 2 of them on my dog :/

Thoughts?

Thanks!
fadgaget

Re: Ticks on dogs??

Postby zer0nz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:53 am

no idea, thanks for the reminder, time to de tick the dog,

Make sure you buy the RAID for ticks from sodimac, about 4 cans, spray your back yard, areas around where the dogs sleep, carpets int he house etc anywhere the dogs have had contact, and use frontline or the chilean alternative on the dogs you should have a tick free summer.....

We had a huge infestation in our house last year, i had to show the chileanas family how to do a deep clean, we cloroed the house top to bottem (removes the food the ticks feed on before the get the taste for blood) and sprayed the RAID everywhere
zer0nz

Postby fadgaget » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:45 pm

that response makes me nervous :/ We live in a modern apartment building. We've already sprayed the dog with Frontline and due to a stomach virus outbreak recently we cloroxed the apartment top to bottom as well.......but the question still remains, do ticks in Chile carry lyme disease??? :/
fadgaget

Postby zer0nz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:58 pm

fadgaget wrote:that response makes me nervous :/ We live in a modern apartment building. We've already sprayed the dog with Frontline and due to a stomach virus outbreak recently we cloroxed the apartment top to bottom as well.......but the question still remains, do ticks in Chile carry lyme disease??? :/

apparently so, but very rear...........

http://www.sodimac.cl/sodimac-cl/produc ... NavAction=

thats what you need to use for the dogs, make sure you remove any visable ticks, have a good look through the dog... take it to a vet if your unsure.....

http://www.sodimac.cl/sodimac-cl/browse ... tid=203620

is what you need for the apartment......

DO NOT USE THE LO BARNECHEA FREE HOME CLEAN SERVICE(or any comuna), they use cattle drench, make the dogs very very very very very very very very sick
zer0nz

Postby admin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:14 am

It must be the region. I have never seen a tick on a dog in the south of chile where we are at, and I think onle one or two ticks in all my time in chile.

I have also never heard of a case of limes diese in chile. I am originally from minnesota and had many people close to me nearly endup in wheelchairs over it. Everyone just kept a bottle of tetracycline in the cabinet, and started a dosage at the first signs. If it was here in any common way, you would be seeing a lot of people effected by it. Likly in wheelchairs for the rest of their life. It is not the common cold. Anyone that has had it, will sure let you know how bad it was.

The question we need to fugure out is there any ticks in chile like the dear tick (really small) that can carry it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: http://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-470-9653, in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.
admin
Site Admin

Postby gringalais » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:48 am

zer0nz wrote:no idea, thanks for the reminder, time to de tick the dog,

Make sure you buy the RAID for ticks from sodimac, about 4 cans, spray your back yard, areas around where the dogs sleep, carpets int he house etc anywhere the dogs have had contact, and use frontline or the chilean alternative on the dogs you should have a tick free summer.....

This is what we do as well and we haven't had tick problems. I have only found them on strays we have taken in and we spray them with Fiprokill/Frontline as soon as we bring them home.

I guess it is time to get the Frontline and Raid out here too, now that it is getting warmer.
gringalais

Postby admin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:58 am

I was talking to my wife, and she recalls there have been some cases in the 5th region. Still not common.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: http://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-470-9653, in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Living in Chile