Re: Jobs in Santiago: Computer Science/Electronics Engineers

Postby gloriosopicante » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:23 am

Last edited by gloriosopicante on Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
gloriosopicante

Postby neklo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:16 pm

A recruiter told me the same thing, and made sure to emphasize that managers ought not expect to get their hands dirty with any programming. God forbid I use the skill I went to school to learn.

I'm beginning to understand why my coworkers seem to have no higher aspirations than to get fired. Only way to bring home more than a million in a month. Kinda like the American dream: to get lucky enough to be able to sue someone with deep pockets...
neklo

Postby zer0nz » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:24 pm

neklo wrote:A recruiter told me the same thing, and made sure to emphasize that managers ought not expect to get their hands dirty with any programming. God forbid I use the skill I went to school to learn.

I'm beginning to understand why my coworkers seem to have no higher aspirations than to get fired. Only way to bring home more than a million in a month. Kinda like the American dream: to get lucky enough to be able to sue someone with deep pockets...

yep just slow down your work and have a bad attitude enough for them to consider "letting you go" with a nice golden hand shake!!! its the chilean way!
zer0nz

Postby admin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:27 pm

gloriosopicante wrote:Jobs is dead :(: 1955-2011

As many have said around IT circles. I did not like his business practices, but I sure did cut my teeth on his computers as a kid. Still I only played with the ones at school and friends houses. My father was not going to buy an apple. The Apple being too expensive, is likely what forced me to get to know all the gory details of cheaper and lower quality computers and learn to program. In prior generations, people told their kids about having to walk 10 miles to school in the snow. I will tell my kids about how I had to program my own video games. All thanks to Steve Jobs.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: http://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-470-9653, in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.
admin
Site Admin

Postby neklo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:36 pm

zer0nz wrote:
neklo wrote:I'm beginning to understand why my coworkers seem to have no higher aspirations than to get fired. Only way to bring home more than a million in a month. Kinda like the American dream: to get lucky enough to be able to sue someone with deep pockets...

yep just slow down your work and have a bad attitude enough for them to consider "letting you go" with a nice golden hand shake!!! its the chilean way!

now i just want to figure out why my well-paid manager doesn't show a touch more appreciation for me. got some ideas, none of them pretty. but wouldn't he at least have an interest in keeping the hard working sucker from looking for the exits?
neklo

Postby DeLaPaz » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:39 pm

chile_jobs wrote:There are several open job reqs in the Synopsys R&D Center in Santiago de Chile, e.g.:
- C / C++ software developers, and

Hi, I'm a USA university student with about 1 year experience. Are there any paid positions available for a temporary 6 month co-op?

To everybody else: what advice could you give me in terms of looking for a temporary 6 month software engineering/development position in Santiago (btw, I speak fluent Spanish)?
DeLaPaz

Postby DeLaPaz » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:09 pm

Thanks Walker for the advice. I don't think I'm too comfortable, however, with just quitting after 6 months. I want to leave a good image with whatever company I work for so I'd like them to know at the beginning that it will be temporary.
DeLaPaz

Postby Pieter » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi guys,

Could you comment on what is the preffered way of contacting synopsys? Maybe I am not suffiently used to chile but I would find it strange to contact Synopsys throug a gmx address when they have a system for applying to the vacancy online on the synopsys website.
Pieter

Postby zer0nz » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:24 pm

Pieter wrote:Hi guys,

Could you comment on what is the preffered way of contacting synopsys? Maybe I am not suffiently used to chile but I would find it strange to contact Synopsys throug a gmx address when they have a system for applying to the vacancy online on the synopsys website.

ever delt with a 3rd world country... could be real :) very normal here in chile......

also, might find that mr "chile_jobs" is a agent wanting his $5000 cut!
zer0nz

Postby chile_jobs » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:49 pm

Pieter wrote:Hi guys,

If you prefer to do it through the global HR system then simply apply by "Search openings" in Chile through
http://www.synopsys.com/Company/SynopsysCareers/Pages/Jobsearch.aspx
chile_jobs

Postby Pieter » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:42 am

Thanks! (and that is what I actually did before seeing/reading this board)

If any of you would happen to know any other companies (or universities?) that might be interested in an electronic engineer (10 years experience (including the Ph. D. time) in semicondutor technologyresearch => there are no fabs in Chile; I hope that there would be places/companies where they accept engineers with a different work experience than what they will be doing?)

To make my matters even more complicated, I know I'm not the management type (I'm doing a little bit of project planning/technical supervision now but I'm certainly not a people manager and would get completely frustrated as a boss with the overpromise/underdeliver mentality) and with less than 1M CLP/month, I can't continue paying back the mortgage of the appartement where I am living here (as my link to the homeland, I am not ready to give that one up)...
Pieter

Postby chile_jobs » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:54 am

Hi,

There are some new openings available in Santiago. Details under:
http://www.synopsys.com/Company/SynopsysCareers/Pages/Jobsearch.aspx
-> "Search openings" -> "CHILE - Santiago"

If you are interested, then simply send your CV in English to jobs-chile@synopsys.com
chile_jobs

Previous

Return to Jobs in Chile and Work Related Issues in Chile