fishing license prices

Postby no country for young men » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:00 pm

This site gives prices for fishing licenses. So to go fly fishing as a tourist in Chile for a week requires an annual non-transferable payment of a thousand or more US$s?

Am I missing something here?

http://www.gochile.cl/en/guides/flyfish ... enses.html

Sport fishing licenses may be acquired at the offices of SERNAPESCA and those places it determines. At present, there are two types of license: for Chilean citizens and for foreigners.

LICENSE PRICES*
Continental Waters
I a IV $1.000 USD
V a VIII $1.500 USD
IX a XII $2.000 USD
Aguas Marítimas
El mar territorial y la zona económica exclusiva de la República. $1.000 USD
Protected Areas
Ríos Cuimilahue, Pescado y Sur, X Región. $8.000 USD
no country for young men

Re: fishing license prices

Postby regioncentralX » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:10 pm

http://www.sernapesca.cl/index.php?opti ... Itemid=111

You know better than to trust lame websites in English promoting Chile that is not part of the allchile family of sites! :lol:
Last edited by regioncentralX on Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
¡ This is Sshiile Weon !
regioncentralX

Postby PenquistaDeCorazon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:13 pm

PenquistaDeCorazon

Postby PenquistaDeCorazon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:16 pm

UF: 21.543,08
so 1.5 times that ....
PenquistaDeCorazon

Postby admin » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:44 pm

Turistas Extranjeros 1,5 U.F. or as of today: 32,314.62 pesos (about $65 US mas or menos).

Argentina charges a whole lot more. Not sure what it is right now. Anyone with at least temp residency, can can get the discount Chilean price of 15,080 pesos a year.

Yea, that little google translator mistake likly cost the country $100 million in fly fishing tourism that went somewhere else.

Right up there with the guys at SAG that decided one year to ban the importation of fishing flies right at the start of the season because they might contain blood carring bird flue. We have clients that are fly fishing guides flying in to the country with tens of thousands of dollars in hand tied flies that they sell to their clients, just weeks before the opening. We were scrambling to call anyone in SAG we could to fix the problem. We finally got a hold of someone that had a clue, and the ban got lifted; but, it definitely had financial train wreck written all over it. It is still not easy to import feathers for flies.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: http://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-470-9653, in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Oh, other quick related note.

If you are going to buy a fishing license, do it in a major city (i.e. Puerto Montt or North). The small towns senepesca often fails to send them sufficient licenses because they think they are too small, yet those are the biggest fly fishing locations. Futa for instance is loaded with guides and their clients, but they often run out early in the season.

Also make sure it covers everything in the country, even if you think you are only going to fish in one zone. Better to have it and not need it.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-470-9653, in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.
admin
Site Admin

Postby no country for young men » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:02 pm

admin wrote:Turistas Extranjeros 1,5 U.F. or as of today: 32,314.62 pesos (about $65 US mas or menos).

Yea, that little google translator mistake likly cost the country $100 million in fly fishing tourism that went somewhere else.

Great example of the old telephone game:

One of the Chilean sites says that the license fee is to pay for stuff like conservation.

A Japanese fly fishing site concludes that the price is high but for a good cause.. Oh well, the Japanese get soaked lots of places.

-------------------

In the guide business, do you see Japanese by the way? Any Japanese speaking guides and any tour operators catering to Japanese for fishing and other outdoor activities?
no country for young men

Postby admin » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:28 pm

Not a lot of Japanese around as tourist. A few, but not overwhelming.

We do have some Japanese clients that live in the country, but they are here for other reasons.

As for paying for conservation, I would put gutting the office of SERNAPESCA with a very dull fillet knife on one of my top improvements to Chile's future. Let's see, 0 enforcement of the sport fishing industry license requirement, catch limits, and so on. if it is done at all it is done by volunteers, some of which have been seriously injured in the process. They caused the near complete colapse of the salmon industry, because they failed to regulate and oversee the use of antibiotics and numbers of fish. They have done nothing to help preserve or improve the sport fishing. They did nothing to stop the ditimo outbreak, and as far as I know are not even involved in the quarentine. They have done nothing to help improve seafood safty in the country, even though it is a major industry.

In fact, I am not even sure what the hell they do. They collect money for licenses, and half the time they fail to provide sufficient numbers of those to the areas that are biggest sport fishing zones.

Yea, not a fan.

admin
Site Admin

Postby nwdiver » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:34 pm

Last month I saw several guys in Futa with photocopied licences that had been notarized, yes they did run out of licences there this year, these guys asked me if I thought it was legal, I told them its Chilean no problem man ;)

I got mine in Santiago.
It's all about the wine.
http://chilecopadevino.com/
nwdiver

Return to Travel in Chile