Poll: Best Place to live in Chile

Postby kylestremme » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:03 pm

Everybody has their opinion on the best place in Chile. What is yours?
kylestremme

Re: Poll: Best Place to live in Chile

Postby Gringo Pillo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:12 pm

In a house.

Prefer small cities. Los Angelesw is OK. Liked Constitucion but the weather was not so good except for Summer.
Gringo Pillo

Postby pinguin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:18 pm

Valdivia
pinguin

Postby zer0nz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:24 pm

where i get paid :) santiago...

i would like to give the coast (thats a really big area i know) a try one day, if i can make money there!
zer0nz

Postby New2Stgo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:25 pm

In the few months I have lived here, I have visitied, Santiago, Iquique, Talcahuano, Concepcion,Vina del Mar, Valparaiso, Puerto Montt and Ancud. IMHO Vina is by far the best place in Chile...
New2Stgo

Postby Nullius » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:49 pm

pinguin wrote:Valdivia

Curiously enough, I would almost agree with pinguin on this. Valdivia has a degree of European-influenced civilization and intellectual life that is missing in much of Chile. Yes, I know it was a Nazi hotbed around WWII. That is part of Chile's history. Yes, it is prone to earthquakes and tsunamis. That is part of la geografia loca. The crime rates in Valdivia are decently below national levels and the national tendency to drive stupidly is perhaps not quite so bad. There are some stupid lolos in their boom-cars but not so bad as Santiago.

You have to know where to look for the benefits of living in Valdivia. I think there are seven or eight breweries here. There is a fresh fish market along the ria -- though you may have to fight off the sea lions at times. You could probably get by teaching English with the right credentials.... very credential oriented in Valdivia. I like the use of wood, for the construction and for heating. There is something about the smell of wood-smoke that means home.

The university is small, and there are enough enlightened souls to make for some challenging exchanges. It's rainy, yes, but the air is clean and the rain makes the flowers grow. Valdivia is not for everyone, but I like it, thank you very much.
Nullius

Postby admin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:57 pm

Frutillar, but I might be biased.

Small, original German settlment, bunch of breweries around the lake, new international concert hall having its grand opening next week (got front row tickets), Jack Nicols designed golf course being built, Hyatt hotel on the slate, other than that relatively small and really beautiful. No real industry to attract the more undesirables and polution besides tourism (half the town has money, and the other half works for the half with money), yet close to all of the bigger towns and cities within about an hours drive (45 mins to two national airports).
Spencer Global Chile: Legal and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: http://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-470-9653, in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Gloria » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:20 pm

Nullius wrote:

Curiously enough, I would almost agree with pinguin on this. Valdivia has a degree of European-influenced civilization and intellectual life that is missing in much of Chile. Yes, I know it was a Nazi hotbed around WWII. That is part of Chile's history. Yes, it is prone to earthquakes and tsunamis. That is part of la geografia loca. The crime rates in Valdivia are decently below national levels and the national tendency to drive stupidly is perhaps not quite so bad. There are some stupid lolos in their boom-cars but not so bad as Santiago.

You have to know where to look for the benefits of living in Valdivia. I think there are seven or eight breweries here. There is a fresh fish market along the ria -- though you may have to fight off the sea lions at times. You could probably get by teaching English with the right credentials.... very credential oriented in Valdivia. I like the use of wood, for the construction and for heating. There is something about the smell of wood-smoke that means home.

The university is small, and there are enough enlightened souls to make for some challenging exchanges. It's rainy, yes, but the air is clean and the rain makes the flowers grow. Valdivia is not for everyone, but I like it, thank you very much.

That's why we decided to live here...
I'm from the generation of common sense and wisdom- so don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining!
Gloria

Postby Gringo Pillo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:38 pm

I lived a few years back in Valdivia. A bit too much rain for my taste (spent enough time in the rain in Kitimat British Columbia). Sometimes the smoke in the winter was so thick it made my eyes water. But this problem is common in many towns unfortunately. Still dont understand the idea of polluting the air with carcinogenics by burning wet wood and choking the flame. Miss the Mercado and good pullmay!
Gringo Pillo

Postby pinguin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:01 pm

Nullius wrote:

Curiously enough, I would almost agree with pinguin on this. Valdivia has a degree of European-influenced civilization and intellectual life that is missing in much of Chile.

What? :shock: :shock:

With what authority you said the rest of Chile is not European-influenced, or even to suggest it is a savage place. Don't you forget that most our ancestors came from Europe, and that our Colonial and Republican culture were based on Europe. Yes, we aren't so rich like our neighbours up north, but I bet you have no idea what you are talking about.

Nullius, If you continue with your unsustained claims, I will send you back to a public high school to complete your education, because even in the disaster that are our public school, they know more about Chile than you. :mrgreen:

Nullius wrote:Yes, I know it was a Nazi hotbed around WWII. That is part of Chile's history.

:shock: :shock: Again. What are your sources? Most of the Germans of Valdivia came in the pre-WWII years! Valdivia has never been a Nazi hub. Some are suspicious of Osorno and even Frutillar, but not of Valdivia. Certainly, Colonia Dignidad at Parral was a Nazi hub. However, the large number of Nazis have always been in Santiago, since the times of Miguel Serrano and the massacre of Seguro Obrero.

What's true, though, is that most Chileans wished Germany had won, but we were strictly impartial at WWII.

Nullius wrote:Yes, it is prone to earthquakes and tsunamis. That is part of la geografia loca. The crime rates in Valdivia are decently below national levels and the national tendency to drive stupidly is perhaps not quite so bad. There are some stupid lolos in their boom-cars but not so bad as Santiago.

Whatever, that's trivial.

Nullius wrote:You have to know where to look for the benefits of living in Valdivia. I think there are seven or eight breweries here. There is a fresh fish market along the ria -- though you may have to fight off the sea lions at times. You could probably get by teaching English with the right credentials.... very credential oriented in Valdivia. I like the use of wood, for the construction and for heating. There is something about the smell of wood-smoke that means home.

Valdivia is a nice place with a wonderful nature. That's is it.
pinguin

Postby pinguin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:06 pm

admin wrote:Frutillar, but I might be biased.

Small, original German settlment, bunch of breweries around the lake, new international concert hall having its grand opening next week (got front row tickets), Jack Nicols designed golf course being built, Hyatt hotel on the slate, other than that relatively small and really beautiful. No real industry to attract the more undesirables and polution besides tourism (half the town has money, and the other half works for the half with money), yet close to all of the bigger towns and cities within about an hours drive (45 mins to two national airports).

What Frutillar? Frutillar Alto or Bajo? :lol:
pinguin

Postby fraggle092 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:50 am

“Pueblo chico, infierno grande”
Luchando por el derecho a un almuerzo gratuito de calidad y sin fines de lucro
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the bitterness of the high price you paid for it is forgotten.
fraggle092

Next

Return to Moving to Chile