Forum rules
No advertising of any sort beyond NGO organizations or services.

Re: Snakes of Chile

Postby admin » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:12 pm

I think I have seen one live snake and one dead snake in Chile. Both looking very much like the gardner snakes of north america (no idea if they were or not), but did not look like anything on that page of photos (darker lines). The live one was happily sunning itself on a rock as I crossed a creek on a mountain side near Coachomo valley. I sat down next to him, had a drink of water, and took a photo. He raised his head to determine if I was going to mess with him, and went back to his nap. Far from aggressive.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: http://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-470-9653, in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:21 pm

read some of the comments on that site, and they seem to think the Tachymenis chilensis does come in bunch of different skin tones. Likely local variations to match the native foliage, such as the darker undergrowth around the south. So real possibility that the snake I seen was the Tachymenis chilensis, just the southern version.

Honestly, anything that helps keep the mouse population in check is o.k. with me.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-470-9653, in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.
admin
Site Admin

Re: two BIG snakes...

Postby greg~judy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:01 am

p~x wrote:This is an attempt to update earlier mythology...

g~j will certainly help you "update" some mythology...
there used to be a couple BIG snakes in region X...!
:|
The Legend of Trentren Vilu and Caicai Vilu is the "legend of the geography and origin of the Chiloean archipelago, and mountains of southern Chile", which was caused by a fierce battle between two mythical snakes.

Trentren Vilu (trentren="related with the earth", vilu="snake")

Trentren Vilu is the god of Earth, and is a generous spirit and protector of all earth's life.

Caicai Vilu (Caicai="related with the water", vilu="snake").
Caicai Vilu is the god of Water and the origin of all that inhabits it, and rules the seas.

According to this myth, thousands of years ago, what is now the Chiloé Province was once one contiguous landmass with continental Chile. One day a monstrous serpent appeared and inundated the lowlands, valleys, and mountains, submerging all the flora and fauna.

Without delay, Trentren Vilu appeared to start a confrontation with his enemy, elevating the land and protecting it from disaster. The battle persisted a long time. Trentren Vilu reached a costly victory, he won the battle, but was unable to restore the land to its primeval state leaving it in the dismembered form it still has today.

At the end of the hostilities, Caicai Vilu left as representative and owner of all the seas, the king Millalobo (Millalonco), who was conceived during the invasion when a beautiful woman fell in love with a sea lion.

This legend describes the new region formed of water and earth and delineates the marine life style of Chiloé.
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa
greg~judy

Postby admin » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:45 pm

forget the snakes, if you want something to worry about here it is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chagas_disease

Chile went through a mega public health push to eliminate it, but it is still around.

admin
Site Admin

Postby kixw52 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:36 am

James is just on his break at work (Sainsburys) and he has aquired a snake which the staff found in the produce delivery. They have had it since Tuesday and have tried feeding it grapes (because thats what they found him in) and raw meat.

All I know from talking to James on his break is its small, brown and from Chile, anybody have a clue on any snakes native to Chile?

James will be bringing him home after his shift tonight, we will get a picture up when he is home with it so we can hopefully get it identified and get his setup adequate
kixw52

Postby ryanar » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:51 pm

I was one of the believers in the "there's no snakes in Chile" thing until recently. This thread shattered the illusion, then shortly after that, I came across one here in el Norte. I was riding home, saw the thing on the road. I pulled up, waited for the camioneta to pass by before I could turn around. As I turned around, I saw the assholes swerve to the middle of the road and squash the snake with the tyres. Everyone I described this to couldn't see what I was grumpy about. Why wasn't I surprised?

Copy of Dec 07 2011 015.jpg
Copy of Dec 07 2011 015.jpg (125.09 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
ryanar

Postby ryanar » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:54 pm

Another view...

Copy of Dec 07 2011 018.jpg
Copy of Dec 07 2011 018.jpg (131.76 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
ryanar

Postby Andres » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:50 am

ryanar wrote:Everyone I described this to couldn't see what I was grumpy about. Why wasn't I surprised?

I agree.
I can relate better to some snakes than I can to some people.
I have rescued a lot of them in my day. (Snakes, that is, not people.)

Andrew
House of Slytherin

PS: The most dangerous snakes are the two-legged ones.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
Andres

Return to Chile Pets and Animals