Forum rules
The Chile Forum policy against new users linking is suspended for the Chile Earthquake Forum during this crisis. BE WARNED: SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS WILL STILL BE SLAPPED DOWN HARD!! Legit links to information and resources however is fully welcome.

Re: Earthquake 2010 Main Thread and Forum News

Postby cali_chile48 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:22 pm

after the riots in LA following the rodney king trial there was a lot of looting. some of that stolen property was returned, but only a very small percentage, and only after some people realized that they were probably going to get caught....so they took advantage of an amnesty window.

more or less the same thing happened here. nobody returned anything until the government announced that they were going to get tough on the looters. one of the differences between the events in LA in the 90's and what happened here last week is that so many people have digital cameras and anyone who stole something knew that their face was gonna show up in the fotos and the video that PDI is collecting.

was it a pang of conscience? nah. it was fear of getting caught.
cali_chile48

Postby Zvalenzuela » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:41 am

Zvalenzuela

Postby admin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:49 am

sorry I missed some posts on my personal thoughts about the situation. A bit tired. We needed a vacation 2 months before this disaster struck. Everyone in our office got a vacation this year, but us.

It was however a good day. The day before was a good day. And we hope the morning will bring another good day.

We are running out of money, but lots of people that I believe in (mostly our members of the forum), have committed to send money no matter what the problems and we have committed to put it to work.

Tommorrow we hold our breath as a new government takes office. Let everyone pray that they do the right thing, or at least do not do the wrong thing so wrong that we can not find a way to make up for it. The real challenge has just begun, but I think Chile will be o.k. Regardless, we will still be here doing everything we can do to make Chile a better place, with or without the earthquake.

My house is filled with the sounds of young Chileans that have volunteered to help us. They come from every part of Chile, and every economic level. More are coming in the morning.

I just heard the people in Caleta Llico rejected the Techos para Chile temporary housing they sent. They are designed for Santiago. No insulation. No heating. No protection from the rain.

We have a new mission. Techos para el sur de Chile (roofs for the south of Chile).

First, I need some sleep.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: http://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-470-9653, in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:22 pm

Everyone on allchile.net should take a look at this post from victims of the earthquake that the forum helped: topic4032-15.html#p40541

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-470-9653, in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Laura55llc » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:36 am

An amazing collection of photos here:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/0 ... chile.html
“To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” - Aldous Huxley
Laura55llc

Postby chix001 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:01 am

My paypal is finally refunded - We have Bank of America and so will be redoing the donation via that avenue. I'm sorry it's so late - but I know you'll still be able to put it to use. Thanks for all you are doing.
chix001

Postby MikieO » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:45 am

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-201 ... esAmericas

SANTIAGO (Dow Jones)--The Chilean economy is quickly recovering from the devastating earthquake that hit the country in late February, with economic activity likely growing in April following a March contraction.

The fifth-strongest quake on record killed 521, cut off roads, toppled bridges, interrupted electricity, utilities and telecommunications serviced, and left a million people injured or homeless.

Although industrial output retreated 1.3% on the year in April, on a seasonally adjusted basis it surged 21.5% from March, the government statistics institute reported last week.

"The effects of the earthquake were transitory," said BBVA Chile chief economist Alejandro Puente.

But analysts noted that despite the recovery in industrial output, economic activity is being buoyed by intense domestic demand.

The Imacec, as the central bank's economic activity index is known, is expected to have grown 2.0% in April from a year earlier, according to the median estimate in a Dow Jones Newswires survey of nine economists. Estimates ranged from increases of 2.0% to 4.5%.

The central bank will publish the Imacec, which is considered a proxy for the country's gross domestic product because it encompasses 90% of the GDP's components, at 1230 GMT Monday.

"Clearly, domestic demand is catalyzing the Imacec's growth," said Rodrigo Aravena, head analyst at investment bank Banchile Inversiones.

In April, retail sales jumped 22.4% on a low basis of comparison, strong sales of textiles, robust demand for computers and television sets, and construction supplies, the statistics institute reported.

Supermarket sales for the month climbed 11.5% on the year, which was the sharpest gain for the month of April in the last seven years, according to the institute.

Copper output for the month, meanwhile, gained 6.4% versus April 2009. The temblor didn't put a dent in copper production since most of the country's copper mines are located roughly 2,000 kilometers north of the quake's epicenter.

Mining output rose 4.4% on the year in April. Mining activity in Chile, the world's largest copper producer, represents roughly 20% of the country's gross domestic product.

With the Imacec picking up in April, analysts see economic activity growing 3.5% on the year in the second quarter.

For 2010, the central bank expects GDP to grow 4.25%-5.25%, fueled in part by third and fourth quarter reconstruction efforts. In the first quarter, GDP rose 1% on the year, despite the devastating earthquake which pushed economic activity to contract a recently revised 2.9% on the year in March.

I was wondering, why isn't the CLP climbing yet?
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes
MikieO

Postby admin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:56 am

Crappy Euro. I suspect that a lot of the sovereign and investment funds are parked in the EU.

I also heard that the IRS is auditing everyone this year, because there was positive growth last year but a 18% reduction in income declarations. I bet a lot of people and companies did not repatriate their investments outside the country because of market zizags and other problems.

Good to see however that Chile has a sufficiently strong economy to get slapped by a historical disaster like that and keep on humming along. I doubt CA or even any of the PIGS would be able to pull that off. In fact, I am almost feeling a little cheated by Pinera's promise of 6% growth. We were most of the way there already anyway.

For our part, we are seeing strong showing of foreign investors returning to Chile. The PIGS in the EU sure make Chile look good.

admin
Site Admin

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:22 pm

I was in Chile visiting my family in Santiago when the earthquake struck. I was aware of all the efforts to help the people in the Concepcione area - did funds ever reach the small towns and fishing villages to help them rebuild - get the essentials to cook with and eat with, clothing, etc. Back here in the states, no one has seen any updated info. Did the fishermen get new nets to replace those washed out to sea? How are these small towns and places doing - Winter is just starting and it is colder and wetter than in Santiago -- Does anyone know what these people might need.

I am doing a presentation on the Effects of the Earthquake - I have a powerpoint presentation I got in Chile showing the damage and several other pictures from photos taken on cell phones. These attendees have an organization that donates to families and children. Hopefully, they will do so for Chile.

To whom could these items and monies be sent to to make sure they get to the people who need it most. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,, Diane
Diane

Postby admin » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:39 pm

Donations are over from outside the country for the most part. It is fairly much a government operation now (with specific designated private organizations inside the country), as it is all focused on reconstruction efforts and housing.

Yes, there are still people in need, but I would seriously caution anyone from outside the country from donating to any group claiming to be helping earthquake victims in Chile (including the big ones like the red cross and so on) because chances are it is never ever going to reach anyone on the ground in Chile. No one is starving in Chile, everyone has a roof of some sort, they are now building permanent housing / and or providing reconstruction subsidies to houses that can be repaired. Highways, communication, city offices are repaired or being repaired. Companies are getting back up and running.

That sounds contradictory I know. It is a very long political story. The government reconstruction efforts are well underway, well funded, and people are getting taken care of for the most part. The areas where there are still needs, are mostly because of political bottlenecks, not lack of aid or money. So, essentially better to focus efforts on places like Haiti or Guatemala, where the governments can not take care of the victims of natural disasters. Chile is o.k.

admin
Site Admin

Postby Diane » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:04 pm

Thank you for your educated response. I am very grateful - also that my Son and his family live in Chile. The trips are getting longer because of airlines cutbacks, and the language is still a big mystery - even though I know a substantial amout of spanish. I am glad the small villages are getting the support - I didn't want to see them without any protection from the Winter elements and no basic utensils, etc.

Take care - and should there be anything I can do from my end for these wonderful people, please let me know. Sincerely, Diane Lynch
Diane

Previous

Return to Chile Earthquake 2010