Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Leaving Chile before Visa in process..

Postby gregf » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:10 pm

Quick Q for those in the know. Mailed out my visa app last week, making plans to leave country end of Sept for a month. I know if they mail back the paper work that it is in process i have no trouble, but if it doesn't get here by then I'll be leaving about 2 weeks over my 3 month visa deadline. Any alternative things I can show in immigration incase I dont get the mail in time?
gregf

Re: Leaving Chile before Visa in process..

Postby gregf » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:11 pm

Also does anyone need anything from the US of A? Legal and smaller-sized goods would be best :alien:
gregf

Postby gregf » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:36 am

No advice on this?? The seven margaritas that I drank tell me that someone is holding out on me! :alien:
gregf

Postby carica » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:46 pm

If you don't get it in the mail, I would go to your local Extranjería office and ask them if they can give you an official paper saying that it's being processed. If they can't help you, the Policia Internacional would be your next best bet.

EDITED to add:
ChileClic is the government website about legal processes..
http://www.chileclic.gob.cl/1542/proper ... 33346.html
If you don't want to go in person to the Extranjería, just click on whatever visa you're applying for and then email them where it says "Consultas sobre este trámite." No guarantees that it's 100% correct but they are prompt and have always answered me when I was asking about the status of my permanent residency application (when the actual Extranjería website STILL has that I'm "en tramite" 4 months after it being approved.)
carica

Postby gregf » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:37 pm

Just to follow up on this, sharing what I found out.

You can leave the country when it is in process and you haven't received the mailing that notifies you it is official in process IF YOU HAVE NOT OVERSTAYED YOU TOURIST VISA!!

If you, like me, have overstayed that while waiting for the application to be processed you must WAIT until you get the letter from them saying essentially that they received your application and are thinking about it.

I assume i can still leave the country but I'd pay a fine (overstaying the tourist visa) and mess up my app process.

In any case, the 2x1 promo died the day before I went to buy tickets. Went from $1400 to $2600 to fly two people to NY direct.

Not going home to visit now :?

Sure another promo will come along.. anyway, take note those of you in the predicament.
gregf

Postby longjonsilver » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:16 pm

air canada offers a flight from santiago to toronto and on to montreal for 749$C (according to travelocitydotca) curiously enuf its the same fare to toronto - go figure - but is not valid around christmas time and the new year
jon
Astronomy says that we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists, for coded signals aren't by chance.

Biology says that there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life.
longjonsilver

Postby Gloria » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:22 pm

longjonsilver wrote:air canada offers a flight from santiago to toronto and on to montreal for 749$C (according to travelocitydotca) curiously enuf its the same fare to toronto - go figure - but is not valid around christmas time and the new year
jon

I have no idea when you'll be coming back to be concern with regard to your visa.The red tape takes so long that I'm sure you'll be paying some type of fine so I wouldn't lose sleep over it.As longsilver states, sometimes we overlook what Air Canada offers.When coming to Chile from Rochester NY we found the best deal available at that time with Air Canada.We had to detour a little but it was worth it.
To ask if anyone needs anything small from the States it is very nice of you, in fact I need vitamin D ( Walmart ought to have the best price)I haven't be able to find it here by itself and a dryer vent or draft blocker for the drier ( one of those plastic thingys to keep the wind from coming in) if it is possible.When you can get back we can settle it. Thanks and have a great trip!
I'm from the generation of common sense and wisdom- so don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining!
Gloria

Postby admin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:54 pm

Do you still have the receipt from when you mailed the application? The international police will normally accept that if you explain you are waiting for the super duper slow immigration processors in Santiago to acknowledge they got it. They are use to it. They have to deal with the same bureaucrats. Now, hopefully your date you mailed it and the date your tourist visa expired are in sink and no one does the math if it is not.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: http://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-470-9653, in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.
admin
Site Admin

Postby nybred1968 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:21 pm

Gloria wrote:
longjonsilver wrote:As longsilver states, sometimes we overlook what Air Canada offers.When coming to Chile from Rochester NY we found the best deal available at that time with Air Canada.We had to detour a little but it was worth it.

I'm curious Gloria, you lived in the Rochester area? Not my hometown, but pretty darn close.

I had hoped to fly home to visit family and friends before heading to Pennsylvania to work and Air Canada did have the best fare / schedule combination into Rochester. I think only Avianca was cheaper, but I can't do a 10 hour layover in JFK with the dog. (I know, me and my dog... But I am planning on 6 months in the US and if he finds a nice Chilena while I'm gone-she ain't getting my dog too :shock: )
But, now I have to skip a visit home and go right to Harrisburg, but I'm hoping to drive "home" to visit before coming back to Chile next year.
nybred1968

Postby Gloria » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:31 pm

nybred1968 wrote:
Gloria wrote:
longjonsilver wrote:As longsilver states, sometimes we overlook what Air Canada offers.When coming to Chile from Rochester NY we found the best deal available at that time with Air Canada.We had to detour a little but it was worth it.

I'm curious Gloria, you lived in the Rochester area? Not my hometown, but pretty darn close.

I had hoped to fly home to visit family and friends before heading to Pennsylvania to work and Air Canada did have the best fare / schedule combination into Rochester. I think only Avianca was cheaper, but I can't do a 10 hour layover in JFK with the dog. (I know, me and my dog... But I am planning on 6 months in the US and if he finds a nice Chilena while I'm gone-she ain't getting my dog too :shock: )
But, now I have to skip a visit home and go right to Harrisburg, but I'm hoping to drive "home" to visit before coming back to Chile next year.

Originally I lived in southern New Jersey ( 45 mins from Atlantic City) for many years, then few years back I lived in Rochester and now in Chile :alien: Air Canada is the best!
I'm from the generation of common sense and wisdom- so don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining!
Gloria

Postby nybred1968 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:36 pm

Gloria wrote:
nybred1968 wrote:
Gloria wrote:

Originally I lived in southern New Jersey ( 45 mins from Atlantic City) for many years, then few years back I lived in Rochester and now in Chile :alien: Air Canada is the best!

My family is all in the Canandaigua area, but I spent a fair amount of time in Rochester. I spent a few winters in Cherry Hill at Garden State Park and one of my favorite summers ("92) was spent working at Atlantic City Race Track :D Spent a lot of time with a wild, long haired boy from Mays Landing :wink: I have a certain fondness for NJ :mrgreen:
When I first started looking last month to fly home, Air Canada had an embargo on flying dogs until after September 16 (As did a couple other airlines.) Avianca would have flown the dog, but I had 2 flight changes and 2 ridiculous layover times flying into Rochester. So, I put it off until this month and have to go right to work. I'm leaving next week flying Avianca into JFK and my employer is driving in from Harrisburg to pick me up there. (Yeah-she really misses me.)
nybred1968

Postby Gloria » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:16 pm

nybred1968 wrote:
Gloria wrote:
nybred1968 wrote:
Gloria wrote:

My family is all in the Canandaigua area, but I spent a fair amount of time in Rochester. I spent a few winters in Cherry Hill at Garden State Park and one of my favorite summers ("92) was spent working at Atlantic City Race Track :D Spent a lot of time with a wild, long haired boy from Mays Landing :wink: I have a certain fondness for NJ :mrgreen:
When I first started looking last month to fly home, Air Canada had an embargo on flying dogs until after September 16 (As did a couple other airlines.) Avianca would have flown the dog, but I had 2 flight changes and 2 ridiculous layover times flying into Rochester. So, I put it off until this month and have to go right to work. I'm leaving next week flying Avianca into JFK and my employer is driving in from Harrisburg to pick me up there. (Yeah-she really misses me.)

Well, well, well....what a small world.I was close to all the areas you mentioned and a stone away from Mays Landing NJ. I wish you a wonderful trip back to the States together with your 4 legged friend. I'm staying put right here and although I have deep roots in US, I have no intentions of going back. :alien:
Gloria

Next

Return to Legal Issues