How to get a Rut# before moving to Chile

Postby Diane » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi! I have been trying to get information on Medical Plans, Insurance, Properties for Sale, and so many of the sites require a Rut # to even get to the information. I am going to be 67 in a few weeks, so this move is a major one to Santiago and I am trying to get my figures and information together so when I do move (sell or rent my house here), buy an apartment in Las Condes or Vitacura I'll have things planned as best I can.

I need to get a Rut# while I am still in the States!! Any assistance will be GREATLY appreciated.

I am so grateful for this site - it is comforting to feel that I already have a support system in place with ALL CHILE.

Thank You! :?
Diane

Re: How to get a Rut# before moving to Chile

Postby Chuck J 3.0 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:58 pm

It may be possible (maybe) to do it from outside Chile, but why put yourself through all that headache? It's a 20 minute tramitation. Well, in a small town like Arica it was. In Stgo. you may stand in line longer. Just go to the appropriate govt. office (I've forgotten the name of it, ssii?) stand in line pay the small fee, fill out the paper, they'll give you your number and mail you the card later. I doubt they'll mail one out of Chile anyway, probably has to be mailed to a Chilean address. It's far easier to do things from inside Chile than outside. Don't torture yourself like that. :)
Chuck J 3.0

Postby admin » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:32 pm

It must be done by a fully legalized power of attorney. You would need to have a power of attorney drafted by an attorney in Chile, then it must be signed either at the Chilean consulate nearest to where you live outside the country or signed at your local notary that then must go through the full legalization where you live.

We do handle getting RUT numbers for clients when they are outside the country by POA, but typically we only do it as part of larger project we are handling by POA such as buying a property, signing other contracts, creating a corporation, and so on. There is no point in having a RUT beforehand unless you are doing something else such as buying a property. It would be a lot of time, trouble, and expense just to have a tax payer ID number for the sake of having it.

Just in case you might be confused, a RUT number is not residency nor does it entitle you to residency. Different things.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: http://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-470-9653, in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Diane » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:14 pm

Thank you!! I'll have to find another way to get the information without a Rut. Appreciate the insights.

One final question, If I should come to Chile at the end of the year to buy a property, say for 6 weeks, is that enough time to get a RUT inorder to purchase a permanent residence/apartment?
Diane

Postby admin » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:00 pm

I think you are little too hung on the RUT number issue. When it comes to buying property, a RUT number is the easiest and quickest part of the entire process, and the time to get one is literally defined by how long the line at the Chilean IRS is on the day you go (go in the morning about 10 AM). We are so confident about how little time and trouble it is to get one, that we often swing by the IRS on the way to the notary just before signing things like purchase agreements and buy / sale contracts. There is not much by way of bureaucracy in Chile that is that predictable.

It is everything else that will take longer. Title searches for instance can take anywhere from a week to 2 months or more to conduct, problems with the title that may need to be corrected could go on indefinitely depending on what is found in the title search and how long you are willing to wait, promissory agreements, buy / sale contract, figure 2 to 6 weeks to register the title on average after all that in most of Chile. Sometimes title registration can be about 6-8 weeks in Santiago. Your attorney should be handling all the leg work in advance, or there is almost no way to complete a full purchase in under 6 weeks accept by POA. We have had a few closed in under a week from start to finish, but don't count on it especially in Santiago where government offices are busy.

Assuming you are not doing any of the purchase by power of attorney but otherwise have an attorney handling the purchase, you will need to physically be in the country for at least the signing of the buy / sale contract and requesting your RUT.

Normally just finding the property is the most time consuming part.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-470-9653, in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.
admin
Site Admin

Postby mariposa83 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:41 pm

I think I understand what you’re talking about...I’ve being trying to subscribe to some newsletters and almost all Internet forms had a RUT mandatory field.

When I travelled to Chile and I was asked for a RUT, I said I didn’t have one and they usually would be ok with my passport number. BUT there’s no way to use a foreign passport number for a form on the Internet...

So, here’s what I’ve done: a RUT has 8 digits+ verifying digit. Something like 12.345.678-9. I’ve used my real passport number for the first 8 digits (12.345.678). Then I had to calculate the last one. This is the result of a mathematical algorithm. Here’s how to calculate it:
http://lists.umanitoba.ca/pipermail/epi ... 01132.html

And...it worked! The website won’t verify the RUT but it will verify that there’s a link between the first 8 and the last digit.

Now, this number has no real meaning or value. You cannot use this for legal procedures. But it will help you to fill those forms and get to the information you need. When you'll be in Chile, you'll have your real RUT.

PS: admin, I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules with this post...
My personnal blog (in French). Mon blogue perso: http://carmengerea.com/
Au menu : carrière, expatriation, affaires, web, marketing.
Saveurs : du Québec, de l’Europe, de l’Amérique du Sud et notamment du Chili.
mariposa83

Postby Hughjb » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:56 pm

Since you list your location in the states as Baltimore, you may want to take a short trip to the Chilean embassy/consulate in Washington DC. They are located in Mass ave beetwen Conn. and 17th street. I know for a fact that at the consulate you can get obtain/renew a RUT if you are Chilean and presumably you may be able to obtain one as a foreigner if you are planning to move down there and are eligible for one (I'm speculating here).

They do take your picture and your fingerprints electronically and then everything is forward to the Registro Civil in Chile, it takes about a month to get the RUT, I had my renew that way two years ago.

But you need to go there, trying to obtain info over the phone is a big leap of faifh, the consulate is open from 9-2, and bring all your paperwork the embassy is big on that.

Good luck

Hugh
Hugo or Hugh, depending where I am
Hughjb

Postby markr » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:39 am

To expand on this topic: Are there other recommendations that anyone would suggest regarding actions to take while still in the U.S.? I'm referring to things that would help someone who has the intention of buying a property and moving to Chile. I know most properties are not listed, but is there anything one can do to begin the search while still in the U.S.? Any other paperwork that would be helpful to have done before getting on the plane?
What about enlisting the services of a realtor, broker, or "representative" to begin the property search, or to just set up properties of interest to view once we arrived?

Thanks for any replies.
markr

Postby Zenth » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:35 am

When you are in Chile and asked for your RUT or "Carnet" when you use a credit card or place an order in a store, don't worry if you do not have it yet. I never carry my passport and I just show my drivers license. The numbers on the license satisfy all retail establishments. If your license does not contain the proper amount of numbers, there is usually a way for them to enter it as a non RUT ID.
The Chilean IRS (SII) is more involved in transactions than here in the USA. It is also easier to obtain a RUT or get copies of Chilean ID documents such as birth, death and marriage. It's all computerized and available for the asking, usually for less than $2. You can get multiple copies as well.
Zenth

Postby admin » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:44 am

First, I would not put ANY RUT NUMBER in to ANY WEBSITE that ask for it just to get a news letter or something. It is like putting your social security card, drivers licenses, and passport number together in to what? A site that is at best badly designed, and worst outright identity thieves. That is internet suicide. Likely a different thing if you are under a secured known site such as your bank or the Chilean IRS web site, but a site that is just going send you some spam. Don't ever do this. Find a different web site. No site should ever ask you for your RUT number just to get some basic information about a property.

I would also be very very careful about the embassy application (never heard of anyone getting on that way). If you do not get your RUT number immediately, then in a few months you receive nothing back and you need it you could have a bureaucratic mess on your hands with a pending application.

As for what to do before you leave, that depends on what you want to do. As far as buying real estate, you really don't need to do anything. If you have a property in mind, then you could arrange to have your attorney start a title search in advance. Almost everything else is done in country.

By the way, do not waist your time trying hire a real estate broker from outside the country. They do not function the way they do in the States. You can search the forum for lots of reasons why. Hire an attorney perhaps to help you get started and represent you, but not a real estate agent.

admin
Site Admin

Return to Moving to Chile