Shipping Household Goods to Chile

Postby Anani Noa » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:50 pm

I'm moving to Chile in a few months and need some advice about shipping a container of my household and business goods to Chile. I'm hoping that some of you have done this before and can give me some much needed information.

QUESTIONS:
Can anyone recommend a good shipper and customs broker (preferably English speaking)?

Can I start shipping my goods as soon as I apply for my Retirement and Periodic Income Visa or do I need to wait until it comes through?
(I ask this because I am moving from Hawaii and don't want to ship my stuff from Hawaii to the Mainland US and then have to unload the container and store the things until the visa comes through, reload it in a new container, etc. Also I will need some of my things in Chile for my home business, as soon as possible.)

INVENTORY QUESTIONS:
How detailed does the inventory need to be? (For example, for Spain, you can just say "Art Supplies", yet for Mexico you must itemize each single thing, down to the last paperclip.

Is it OK to list the value of items at their yard sale prices since they are used, rather than their replacement value new?

Are there any restrictions on art? ( I have Buddhas and paintings that I will bring with me.)

Are there any special allowances for art? Or anything else?

Do serial and model numbers need to be listed with any electronics?

I couldn't find a specific thread on Shipping Household Goods to Chile, but read somewhere on this forum something about problems bringing in wood items. I have some used furniture that is very unique that I would like to bring. Will that be OK?

Are receipts required? If so, for what items? I have a lot of world treasures that I've bought during my travels and have no receipts for them. Will this be a problem?

Do like items need to be packed with like items? (For example, books with books, kitchenware with kitchenware, or can categories be mixed to allow for the most efficient packing? For Spain they can, for Mexico they can't.)

I have people coming next week to help me begin packing, so I need to find these answers soon.

Any other advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Mahalo, Gracias, Merci, Danke, Maruru and THANK YOU! 8)
Anani
Last edited by Anani Noa on Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anani Noa

Re: Shipping Household Goods to Chile

Postby RuneTheChookcha » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:00 pm

Anani Noa wrote:I have Buddhas ... that I will bring with me

Bring many. :) :) :)
RuneTheChookcha

Postby Anani Noa » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:51 pm

I will....

They really want to come to Chile. 8)
Last edited by Anani Noa on Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anani Noa

Postby Patagonia Sur » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:03 am

Hola,
I have shipped my household goods allowance or "menaje de casa" in a 20 ft container from Long Beach to Valpo (using my temporary residency visa), as well as a few 40 ft containers with vehicles in them and I can pass along some info to you that willl hopefully be helpful.
The shippping company I used is called Able Cargo located in Los Angeles. I used them for every shipment and they were excellent. Professional, helpful, and efficient in every way. There rates were very competetive.
The guy that helped me every time is named Mike and I think he is the owner. I cannot post a link so you will have to look them up.
The customs agency I used from Valparaiso was also an excellent find (I went through a few before finding them). They are called Ultramar and the extremely efficient and helpful man that I went through every time is called Reinaldo Haase. I cannot recommend him enough. His english is ok. He walked me through every stage and was always upbeat and enthusiastic through all the redtape. He also new everyone and was respected by all.
Im not sure if im allowed to post the number for Ultramar but it is (32) 202-840 and Reinaldos cel # is 9-331-4743.
I am not too sure about the legalities of using your one allotment of "menaje de casa" as regards the time frame of you receiving your visa. The actual shipping of the goods can be done at any time. Once the boat arrives (you will get a call telling you the boat is in port and when it is scheduled to unload) you only have a few days to clear your goods without incuring additional storage fees.
The more detailed the inventory the better, but having said that mine was not that accurate and I left out many things ( I actually wrote up the inventory on the customs form after I had packed the container so was guessing). Also since I was entering the goods as "menaje de casa" there is no tax to be paid so they didnt go through the stuff very thoroughly. They only opened a few boxes and were fine with that. They looked on the inventory sheet and tried to spot some of the items listed like "18 ft ladder" ("Wow que lindo cuanto te costo?"), stereo system, computer, etc. I had shipped some Ikea wood furniture so the SAG (an agricultural govt. entity) had to inspect those goods. And as they were treated wood products they didnt spray them, just signed them off.
I did not have any serial numbers, nor did I pack like items together. I actually shipped 5 used tires that were almost new and I had laying around my house. Everyone that saw them told me shipping used tires into Chile is a no no. reinaldo told me they would take them immediately and probably search the rest of the stuff more thoroughly because of that. The inspector looked at the tires and said its illegal to ship used tires into Chile. These look pretty new so I will let them go but dont do it again.
All in all it was not a very traumatic experience. I showed up at Reinaldos office at 10:00am and left with the goods in my rented van at approx 6pm. Had a nice lunch in town too!
I hope this is helpful.

Ps
Patagonia Sur

Postby Anani Noa » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:17 am

Ps,

Your experiences are SUPER helpful! Thank you very much.

Do you or anyone else know anything more about bringing in wood products? Things like an oldish, but not antique, wooden Tibetan cabinet that has some old rot in it? Or oldish wood Chinese statues? If they just need to be sprayed, that's fine. Or could I do something here to treat them before they are shipped? I just don't want them confiscated or thrown away.

Anani
Anani Noa

Postby MikieO » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:02 am

I managed to skate by, but I was told that my antique chestnut bureau should have had an ag inspection when imported, YMMV.
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes
MikieO

Postby Anani Noa » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:18 am

Thanks MikieO 8)

What are the AG inspectors looking for? Pests? Old rot? Some of my stuff has old rotten parts, but there's nothing living there anymore.

This is good to get shipping information all in one thread. It will be helpful not only to me, but to many others.

All your information, experience and advice is greatly appreciated!

Ciao,
Anani
Anani Noa

Postby MikieO » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:05 pm

they are looking for living bugs
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes
MikieO

Postby admin » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:16 pm

yea, check the current regs carefully for anything you are going to ship in that is organic in nature before putting it on the boat, and make sure it is upfront and easy to get out should it be flagged. You don't want it at the back of the container, if SAG decides to have a better look.

About a year ago they decided that flies for fly fishing might be a threat for bird flue. It took SAG about a season of fly fishing to get the picture that those are highly processed and clean feathers. The fly guides in Chile where not happy about it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: http://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-470-9653, in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.
admin
Site Admin

Postby john » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:54 am

Patagonia Sur's recent post re: shipping household goods from Long Beach to Valpo was very informative. Many thanks Ps! It was a very timely post since my wife and I also have a need to ship some household goods (mostly personal effects) from Long Beach (a 20 ft container should suffice) to Valpo in support of our planned move to Vina next February. We will, of course, consider using the same shipping company and customs agency based on Ps's positive experience.
Does anyone know if it would it be cost effective to ship bedding items and bathroom towels directly to Vina via UPS or parcel post? My wife told me that she couldn't find any soft and fluffy towels (a US obsession it seems) for sale in Chile while shopping on our previous trips.

Saludos!

John
john

Postby RWS » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:43 am

john wrote:. . . . Does anyone know if it would it be cost effective to ship bedding items and bathroom towels directly to Vina via UPS or parcel post? . . . .

Why not use them as stuffing to cushion the more delicate items in your shipping container? That's what I intend to do.

I've reread Patagonia Sur's posting, as I'm very concerned about the shipment of my possessions to the far South. Alas, though -- I'm leaving from the opposite coast!
RWS

Postby john » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:21 am

RWS

Thank you for the creative suggestion. However, my wife's inquiry was based on the assumption that we will arrive in Vina prior to our possessions arriving in Valpo and, therefore, we would need bedding and towels in the interim. Is it really true that soft and fluffy towels are not available in Chile?

Saludos!

John
john

Next

Return to Moving to Chile