Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Chilean citizenship for a foreigner

Postby marakesh » Wed May 14, 2008 5:18 am

Hi everyone!

I'm really looking forward to visit Chile next year. I was wondering what are the steps/requirements for a foreigner (no roots in Chile) to become a Chilean citizen? I'm in no need for precise information, just want to get the general idea.

Cheers!
Robert
marakesh

Re: Chilean citizenship for a foreigner

Postby admin » Wed May 14, 2008 9:23 am

Giving up your current citizenship is among them. There is no duel passports, unless you where born to a Chilean.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: http://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-470-9653, in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.
admin
Site Admin

Postby jalundberg » Wed May 14, 2008 11:51 am

An American who marries a Chilean would only be able to attain permanent residency (assuming one is not willing to give up American citizenship), correct? Secondly, are those with permanent residency issued a Chilean passport?
jalundberg

Postby MarkF » Wed May 14, 2008 12:15 pm

jalundberg wrote:An American who marries a Chilean would only be able to attain permanent residency (assuming one is not willing to give up American citizenship), correct? Secondly, are those with permanent residency issued a Chilean passport?

What's the advantage of having dual citizenship or a second passport? The only thing I can think of is to avoid the prospect of being deported if you commit a crime.

To Charles: Is it true permanent residents gain the right to vote after 5 years? (I think I read that recently at http://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/).

Mark
There are 10 different kinds of people in the world. There are those who understand binary, and those who don't.
MarkF

Postby jalundberg » Wed May 14, 2008 12:33 pm

I'm not necessarily insinuating that there are benefits, just curiosity as I may find myself in such a situation rrelatively soon.
jalundberg

Postby jalundberg » Wed May 14, 2008 12:46 pm

I should add that I do see benefits to holding a Chilean passport. In regards to the practical, it would make travel within South America easier (I assume, someone please correct me if that is not the case). Personally, the more salient benefit would be the implicit confirmation of rather strong ties to Chile, a more emotional benefit.
jalundberg

Postby admin » Wed May 14, 2008 1:53 pm

as far as I understand you can vote after 5 years. In fact, the only thing I think you can not do is get a passport with residency. I will have to check with one of my attorneys for more specific details.

I even caught wind at one point that you could run for office, but have never bothered to check this out. What would be the chances of a gringo getting elected as a senator?

I have entered Argentina with my Chilean ID without a problem before.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-470-9653, in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.
admin
Site Admin

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed May 14, 2008 2:36 pm

Renouncing all citizenships requirement aside, the Chilean passport in terms of visa or hassle free world travel is the best passport in Latin/South America. I have the bar chart somewhere on my hard drive from an article in The Economist from a couple of years ago if someone wants me to post it.

And as Admin Charles said, you can enter Argentina, Brasil and Uruguay just on the basis of your Chilean residency obtained carnet. Any word on the hemisphere wide agreement for Ibero-American travel? Can Chileans now enter Peru just on the basis of their carnet?
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of riducule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat
eeuunikkeiexpat

Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Postby tombrad2 » Wed May 14, 2008 6:26 pm

For Perú and Bolivia only carnet is required. Now Bolivia ask for visa to American citizens and it is not easy to obtain one being an American, I think a Chilean carnet may avoid this tramitation.
Arica in a nutshell (updated) at :
http://tomas-bradanovic.blogspot.com/
tombrad2

Postby admin » Wed May 14, 2008 8:50 pm

Thanks Tom. I forgot about that. The reason I have never been to Brazil, but most of the rest of Latin America was the entrance fee of around $100. I will have to give that a spin.

admin
Site Admin

Postby RWS » Wed May 14, 2008 10:59 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:. . . . I have the bar chart somewhere on my hard drive from an article in The Economist from a couple of years ago if someone wants me to post it. . . .

I'd be interested; thanks.
RWS

Postby Skraeling » Thu May 15, 2008 12:30 am

Me, too.
Skraeling

Next

Return to Legal Issues